Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback Interviews - Meals  (Read 3343 times)

GoldiLawks

• View Profile
Callback Interviews - Meals
« on: September 18, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »
Do callback interviews always include lunch/dinner? Is it the sort of thing they always tell you in advance when you schedule your interview, so that you would know before your callback that lunch would be a part of your day? Or is lunch something that is only included for "preferred" candidates? Any insight is appreciated. Have people had callbacks where they just do the interviews and then are free to go, with no lunch?

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Callback Interviews - Meals
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:36:35 PM »
if your interview is in the morning you will be invited to lunch, afternoon interviews generally don't include meal.  (eat on your own, send receipt to firm)
Yale Law School - Class of 09

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:38:21 PM »
Morning callbacks typically include lunch, although it's not written in stone. They'll usually tell you beforehand, but not always. Just be prepared for it if it happens (although if you find out ahead of time and really don't want to do it, you can always opt out).

Some tips for the lunch:

Never order alcohol (a glass of wine at dinner is ok so long as the other attorneys are ordering)
Don't order appetizers or dessert unless the other attorneys do.
Never order the most expensive thing on the menu--order something in the mid-price range (again, follow the lead of the attorneys here)
Stay away from messy food--ordering spaghetti with meatballs, for example, will almost always result in you spilling sauce all over your suit (a form of Murphy's law)
Although the attorneys who take you to lunch (usually young associates) may encourage you to ask candid questions (i.e. about pay, etc.), don't do it. You can be slightly less formal with them, but stay on your guard. They will be filling out evaluations after the meal.

GoldiLawks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:40:30 PM »
Ok, so I guess I am asking this: Do morning interviews always include lunch, or have any of you interviewed at places that did not?

csloan999

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:43:28 PM »
Ok, so I guess I am asking this: Do morning interviews always include lunch, or have any of you interviewed at places that did not?

NOT always.  They usually tell you if they do, but certainly do make that assumption on your own...

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 08:37:19 PM »

A firm that is too cheap to offer a free lunch at upscale NYC restaurant is not qualified to interview me.  Period. 

GA-fan

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:33:39 PM »
I would agree somewhat with the rules posted above, but here's where my opinion differs. Order a cocktail with dinner the night before, particularly if the attorneys ask if you'd like one. Being able to hold a drink is a good thing, and it might even help you lighten up some.
Feel free to loosen up with the attorneys at dinner the night before and lunch; if it's younger associates, I really would feel free to ask them anything that avoids religion or politics and that isn't positively rude in any other social setting. Use your common sense- asking someone how they generally get their work or how they like the partners they work for is one thing- asking them what their bonus last year was is another.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 05:24:29 AM »
if your interview is in the morning you will be invited to lunch, afternoon interviews generally don't include meal.  (eat on your own, send receipt to firm)

Some firms may invite you to dinner or quick drinks at a bar/pub if you do the afternoon interview.  (Shearman & Sterling for example).  I was told that they won't be offended or anything if you decline the dinner/drinks since you may have to catch a flight or get ready for another callback.  The lunch, however, seems sorta mandatory. 
testing testing 1 2 3

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 09:04:27 AM »

Some firms may invite you to dinner or quick drinks at a bar/pub if you do the afternoon interview.  (Shearman & Sterling for example).  I was told that they won't be offended or anything if you decline the dinner/drinks since you may have to catch a flight or get ready for another callback.  The lunch, however, seems sorta mandatory. 

I know some do, Sullivan & Cromwell and Cravath for example offered job at the end of callback and invited me to dinner.  I did not interview with Shearman, I heard they are a TTT shithole. 

P-Dinelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 01:34:32 AM »
I ordered a drink, the most expensive thing on the menu, and dessert and got an offer at the end of dinner.  One of the partners even told me, "It was nice to see a recruit that is not afraid to order a drink."