Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Turning a State Court clerkship into fed. clerkship  (Read 2795 times)

marsh28

• View Profile
    • Email
Turning a State Court clerkship into fed. clerkship
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:36:56 AM »
I currently am a 3l at an average (tier 3) lawschool.  I'm in the top 15% and on Law Review, and had my L. Rev. Candidate paper chose for publication.  However, although I have applied for several Federal District Court clerkships, I am fairly sure I won't land anything due to my school's status.  My question is, if I can land a State Appellate/Supreme court clerkship, will this help as leverage for a later Federal district court clerkship, or should I simply forget about Federal clerkships altogether?

vaplaugh

Re: Turning a State Court clerkship into fed. clerkship
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 08:59:10 AM »
Why wouldn't it help, at least marginally? 

Will you do the state clerkship regardless?

marsh28

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »
I would like to do the state clerkship regardless of whether a federal clerkship was possible further down the line.  I was just wondering if people often use state clerkships to get federal ones.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:21:22 PM »
Some people do go the route that you're suggesting. However, since teaching is unlikely given your school status, what is the real point of doing a state and then federal clerkship? All you're doing is limiting your earning potential for another 2 years by taking a federal clerkship. The experience is still going to be roughly the same, and you're going to get a good job after a state court appellate clerkship anyway.

Just something to consider.

I would like to do the state clerkship regardless of whether a federal clerkship was possible further down the line.  I was just wondering if people often use state clerkships to get federal ones.

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 03:34:41 PM »
I actually think it would be worthwhile to try to do both, particularly if you are going to remain in that jurisdiction.  Whether or not you want to go into teaching, it provides a great deal of insight into the law at both the appellate and trial level. 

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 04:23:12 PM »
Marsh, check PMs