Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions to ask at OCI Interview  (Read 9288 times)

ashe7

• View Profile
Questions to ask at OCI Interview
« on: September 17, 2007, 07:41:59 PM »
I've had a bunch of OCI interviews and so far no call backs. I feel like the interviews go ok until the person asks me if I have any questions...I am on law review and I asked some of the people on staff what to ask and they told me things like "what kind of rotations do you do as a summer associate?" and "what kind of feedback do you get as a summer associate"...so I did that but I don't feel like it's going over too well.

I have two interviews tomorrow and those are my last 2...I just need some advice on what to ask when they ask me if I have any questions. I was told to avoid things like "what makes you different from other big firms?" and "what is the culture of your firm"....what should i do?  ???

GA-fan

Re: Questions to ask at OCI Interview
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 08:21:40 PM »
I don't really know what to tell you, other than ask questions that you genuinely want to know the answer to. I personally don't give two craps about how a firm assigns its summer associate projects. usually, however, I ask the interviewer what it was when they were in my shoes not too long ago that helped them distinguish firm X from everyone else they interviewed with, and whether they'd make the same choice today. It gives the interviewer a chance to brag about how great their decision was and also gives you a little bit of their personality and what they value.

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:53:17 PM »
There are lots of questions that one can ask at OCI. You can always ask the interviewer why they chose the firm--it gives him/her an opportunity to tell you a little about him/herself and what about the firm attracted him/her. You can also ask about the firm's growth prospects--it shows that you are interested in where the firm is headed. You can ask about whether there are any formal mentoring/training programs. If international work is important to you, ask how much of the work is cross-border. In short, there are any number of questions that you can ask. Your school's OCS should have some sort of handout on interviewing and what kinds of questions to ask. 

A few rules of thumb, though: avoid asking questions about salary, benefits, etc. (that is for after you get an offer) and also avoid asking any questions that you can answer easily by simply looking at the firm's website.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »
There are lots of questions that one can ask at OCI. You can always ask the interviewer why they chose the firm--it gives him/her an opportunity to tell you a little about him/herself and what about the firm attracted him/her. You can also ask about the firm's growth prospects--it shows that you are interested in where the firm is headed. You can ask about whether there are any formal mentoring/training programs. If international work is important to you, ask how much of the work is cross-border. In short, there are any number of questions that you can ask. Your school's OCS should have some sort of handout on interviewing and what kinds of questions to ask. 

A few rules of thumb, though: avoid asking questions about salary, benefits, etc. (that is for after you get an offer) and also avoid asking any questions that you can answer easily by simply looking at the firm's website.

Terrible advice.  Unless the interviewer is new to the firm, do not ask "why did you choose this firm".  Why, because 200 other interviewees have asked that already.  Also do not ask "does your firm offer formal training", because every firm offers formal training.  Be more specific with your questions. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 01:08:52 PM »

Its not that easy to be specific when all the firms seem to be the same

Terrible advice.  Unless the interviewer is new to the firm, do not ask "why did you choose this firm".  Why, because 200 other interviewees have asked that already.  Also do not ask "does your firm offer formal training", because every firm offers formal training.  Be more specific with your questions. 

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:07:44 PM »

Its not that easy to be specific when all the firms seem to be the same

Targeted questions can come from materials that you have read about the firm on its website or elsewhere.  For example, if the firm website states that new associates go through 2 rotations, you can ask if the rotation is for every associate or only those in corporate, you can ask whether you rotate only within a particular department, you can ask that if at the end of 2 rotations you are still undecided can you try a 3rd rotation, you can ask how does that firm assign a permanent department after the rotation period. 

The interviewer will be talking about his experience or the firm, try to come up with questions relating to what he has just talked about.  As the interview talks, don't just sit there, you have a brain inside your skull, don't you, use it!  But of course, if you go to one of those TTT schools and got 155 on your LSAT, maybe your brain isn't exactly so sharp, in that case, best luck to you, and enjoy getting pawned in court by HYS grads who are invariably 20 times smarter than you. 

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 05:15:42 AM »

One of my interviewers thanked me for not asking the "why you choose that firm?"  Interviewers hear this question over and over again from unoriginal interviewees and they get annoyed with it... or so he says...
testing testing 1 2 3

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:59:43 AM »
Whatever, I have asked that question and it did not stop me from getting callbacks. I get tired of the question, "why this firm", but everyone asks it and I answer anyway. I agree, though, that there are better questions to ask. I typically ask about cross-border work, since I am interested in working internationally.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 12:42:58 PM »
Whatever, I have asked that question and it did not stop me from getting callbacks. I get tired of the question, "why this firm", but everyone asks it and I answer anyway. I agree, though, that there are better questions to ask. I typically ask about cross-border work, since I am interested in working internationally.

Enjoy your career at your TTT firm, but do not try to ruin people's career on this board, keep your stupid interview advice to yourself.  Posters on this board are sheep and I am their shepherd, attempt in anyways to lead them astray and I will strike you down with great fury and violent vengeance

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 04:11:21 PM »
I'm not here to argue with you, not to mention that I am not being at all rude to you. This is not the xoxo board. I have a job with BigLaw in NYC, so I'll thank you to not be nasty. I'm just throwing out some suggestions, oh mighty one. And by the way, these are all questions that my OCS has suggested and they've seemed to work well for a lot of people.