Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions to ask at OCI Interview  (Read 9212 times)

csloan999

• View Profile
Re: Questions to ask at OCI Interview
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 04:20:06 PM »
Enjoy your career at your TTT firm, but do not try to ruin people's career on this board, keep your stupid interview advice to yourself.  Posters on this board are sheep and I am their shepherd, attempt in anyways to lead them astray and I will strike you down with great fury and violent vengeance

Let's face it: it's probably your grades at Yale, NOT your magical interview skills that are getting you top jobs.  I'm not saying your advice is wrong, but there's certainly more than one way to go about things.  You don't have 100% knowledge of all interviewers.  If you did, f*** law school--you should go write a book about this *&^%!

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 04:34:14 PM »
Let's face it: it's probably your grades at Yale, NOT your magical interview skills that are getting you top jobs.  I'm not saying your advice is wrong, but there's certainly more than one way to go about things.  You don't have 100% knowledge of all interviewers.  If you did, f*** law school--you should go write a book about this *&^%!

Thank you.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 07:08:05 PM »

Thank you.

Very good, you should register 10 other screen names to build a consensus supporting your lame advice. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 07:40:11 PM »
You're an insufferable twit. I'm done talking to you.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 08:42:55 PM »
Whatever, I have asked that question and it did not stop me from getting callbacks. I get tired of the question, "why this firm", but everyone asks it and I answer anyway. I agree, though, that there are better questions to ask. I typically ask about cross-border work, since I am interested in working internationally.

Even worse than the "why this firm" is the "so what do you know about this firm?" question.  One idiot interviewer I had expected me to know how many associates and partners were in the specific office I was interviewing in AND the total number of attorneys firmwide.  Are you serious...
testing testing 1 2 3

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 08:48:36 PM »
Whatever, I have asked that question and it did not stop me from getting callbacks. I get tired of the question, "why this firm", but everyone asks it and I answer anyway. I agree, though, that there are better questions to ask. I typically ask about cross-border work, since I am interested in working internationally.

Even worse than the "why this firm" is the "so what do you know about this firm?" question.  One idiot interviewer I had expected me to know how many associates and partners were in the specific office I was interviewing in AND the total number of attorneys firmwide.  Are you serious...

Maybe not the exact number, but you should have an understanding of the general size of the office, for your own benefit. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 01:53:27 PM »

Maybe not the exact number, but you should have an understanding of the general size of the office, for your own benefit. 

The only important number is how much they pay.

Can anyone make a more moronic comment? 

yalecollege06

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 09:01:12 PM »

Its not that easy to be specific when all the firms seem to be the same

Targeted questions can come from materials that you have read about the firm on its website or elsewhere.  For example, if the firm website states that new associates go through 2 rotations, you can ask if the rotation is for every associate or only those in corporate, you can ask whether you rotate only within a particular department, you can ask that if at the end of 2 rotations you are still undecided can you try a 3rd rotation, you can ask how does that firm assign a permanent department after the rotation period. 

I agree with this. Target your questions to the firm, whether it's about strengths they marketed in their advertising or that you read in Vault, or "gaps" in their marketing which fail to address certain issues that OTHER firms advertise themselves as being good at.

That said, I often find myself daydreaming and nodding "uh huh" when the attorneys get into these long winded answers to my targeted questions...but at least it seems like they have a lot to say about the issue and think the question is worth answering in detail...