Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your Worst Interview  (Read 4089 times)

vaplaugh

Re: Your Worst Interview
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 02:29:25 PM »
tag. fantastic.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 10:11:54 PM »
OCI-style interview at a job fair.  My day starts out like *&^% anyway--I stayed with friends the night before; I'm 2 miles from the job fair hotel and I can't find a cab, so I'm wandering haphazardly through city streets as the minutes tick by, tick, tick, tick, until it's 9:10, 10 minutes before my first interview and I finally find a cab and hop in.  The cab gets stuck at every stop light, tick, tick, tick.  I rush in the hotel door, it's one minute before my first interview, the elevators are all stuck on the 6th floor--not surprisingly, since that's where all the interviews are.  Tick, tick, tick, my head is about to explode.

I finally get to the room of my first interview, about a minute late, to find my career services rep switching me with somebody else.  @#!*, I think to myself, there goes that interview.  So I get moved to the 9:40 slot, and now I'm back to back with my second interview at 10:00, right next door. 

The 9:40 interview actually goes amazingly well, and I end up getting a callback.  The 10:00 interview, however, went FUBAR. 

The guy has no personality (IP, big shocker), I know nothing about him or the firm other than its culture is "collegial" and they do "top quality work."

Then, about 10 minutes in, my cell phone goes off.  I apologize, he says it's OK, but is giving me that "how incredibly stupid must you be not to turn off your cell phone before an interview?" look.  I proceed to spend the next minute nervously fingering my phone in my pocket, to make sure it doesn't go off again when the voicemail comes through.  I stagger through the rest of the interview decently well under the circumstances.

During a break, I go up to the guy again; I'd forgotten to give him a writing sample, when all of the OCI materials said that they really valued the writing sample, so make sure to give them one when you interview.  I get the "why are you wasting your time giving me this writing sample when you know you have absolutely no chance anyway?" look.  Then, as if I hadn't done enough stupid things for one morning, if not for the week, I told him that I couldn't remember his name (his firm didn't post it on the OCI info sheet), and he says, "Didn't I give you my card?"  I reach into my front shirt pocket, and there, the ink smearing from the sweat accrued while running around looking for a cab that morning, is his card.  I managed to sputter out a "really nice meeting you" before I walked off, head hanging in disbelief, trying not to laugh too hard at my own idiocy.

Yeah, I wasn't to surprised to get that ding in the mail.

yalecollege06

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
What is the worst answer to a question you have given in an interview so far?

Mine:

Q:  What do you like to do in your spare time?
A:  I love watching movies.
Q:  What kind of movies do you like?
A:  Independant films.... and teeny-bopper movies

Needless to say, I didn't get an offer from them.

Oh, I've had my bad ones, but that particular Q went better for me. This from a partner at one of the more "lifestyle" firms in NYC...

Q: What do you like to do in your spare time?
A: If I have a little spare time, play computer games. If a lot, then travel.
Q: Oh? What games do you play?
A: Starcraft...
Q: Oh yeah! I play World of Warcraft!

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 05:46:29 PM »

This is not about law firm interview...
but During my MA, I was trying to get an internship in Washington.. for an NGO working on the issue of genocide in Darfur.

towards the end of an interview, the guy asked me what academic weakness I had...
and I said confidently, that I really have no academic weakness.

I thought that was the answer he was looking for.

anyway, I didn't get the internship.

Wildcat Law Student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 05:49:47 PM »
What is the worst answer to a question you have given in an interview so far?

Mine:

Q:  What do you like to do in your spare time?
A:  I love watching movies.
Q:  What kind of movies do you like?
A:  Independant films.... and teeny-bopper movies

Needless to say, I didn't get an offer from them.

Oh, I've had my bad ones, but that particular Q went better for me. This from a partner at one of the more "lifestyle" firms in NYC...

Q: What do you like to do in your spare time?
A: If I have a little spare time, play computer games. If a lot, then travel.
Q: Oh? What games do you play?
A: Starcraft...
Q: Oh yeah! I play World of Warcraft!

LOL.  And you got the callback right?  Haha.

I didn't have this question posed to me (I had known about it before my interview, so I attempted to keep the conversation moving and did not let the interviewer get to such a lame question), but a couple of my friends did have someone ask them

Q: If you were a fruit, what kind of fruit would you be?

Think about that one for a second. 

WoW.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 09:01:35 PM »
peach.

yalecollege06

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 10:30:06 PM »
LOL.  And you got the callback right?  Haha.
Yup.  :)