Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which Section of the JUNE 04 LSAT did you think was hardest?

Reading Comp
Arguments 1
Arguments 2
Games
Writing?

Author Topic: 1L's: Do you like the people?  (Read 2929 times)

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1L's: Do you like the people?
« on: September 16, 2007, 01:45:19 AM »
I've worked a few years out of college. Hardly gives me a sense of entitlement to say I think I know what I'm doing compared to those straight out of school. 

But one thing that got me into law was I got along well with lawyers in general.  These were ppl who, *generally* liked to think about things openly / admit they weren't always right / took interest in details of how things worked. 

At the one-month point in my first year, I don't see many of these characteristics in classmates (perhaps in a few of them). Did I have an unrealistic idea of lawyers' personalities, or is it just that as students we all haven't budded yet? At my school, a majority of students are straight out of school...

Regardless, *some* of these people are EXTREMELY ARROGANT and SNOTTY. I mean, its just unreal, the 'tudes of some of these dudes (and girls for that matter).  It's like I have to do a double take in given situations b/c there's no way a person who's managed to negotiate themselves through life would turn up their nose at another person like that... [except in law school].

Sorry, bad day and lots of time studying (perhaps unproductively) by self... but god does anyone else see the same problems? I wish the BAR had some kind of "no jerk" policy --- maybe I'm hoping for WAY too much.

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1L's: Do you like the people?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 07:34:02 AM »
Law school students can be extremely pretentious.  The less real life experience the students have the worse they are.  Most have had everything handed to them up to this point.  Life, especially in law, will humble them.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 09:55:27 AM »
Many of the people you're in school with are probably young, and therefore may not have developed the "better" parts of their personalities yet.  1L is especially difficult, since no one has been "put in their place" yet, and a lot of people think they're hot *&^%.  People become more humble after grades come out.  During 2 and 3L, people become more laid back because for the most part, where the cards have fallen is pretty much where they'll stay.

And there's also the possibility that the lawyers you knew were just a good group of people (were they all from the same firm?  In which case they probably self-selected themselves - decent people tend to enjoy working with other decent people)

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 01:04:38 PM »
there's also the possibility that the lawyers you knew were just a good group of people (were they all from the same firm?  In which case they probably self-selected themselves - decent people tend to enjoy working with other decent people)

It is mostly based on a single firm, but even that was BIGLAW (so, taking into account plenty of negatives there)... Not like I was buddy-buddy with everyone, but I figured that if I could generally appreciate the environment there, I'd only be headed for better things...

I don't know what ppl think about acheiving in school, (actually i might be, for better or worse, more hung up on that than the norm) but so many ppl at my school just seem really clique-ish, flakey, flashy, uppity, you name it.

Eh, I'll deal (and no I won't drop out) it's not the end of the world, and it's probably best to find wayst to navigate through this *&^% early on...

byte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 02:15:16 PM »
I like most of my classmates.  They're very intelligent and are certainly more accepting than the general population.  I've worked for a couple years, and there can be a sort of air about some of the students, but by and large I have not experienced what you have.
1L

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »
I haven't noticed that attitude in my section, but I have friends in other sections and have heard rumblings about certain people.

I've also noticed this attitude with my interns in my past life as a working professional.
Vanderbilt 2010

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 04:57:37 PM »
I've also noticed a few kids who esteem themselves highly and think it's extremely important that you know they're right. I took to just smiling agreeably so they have no idea what I think anymore.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 08:42:48 PM »
just wait till 2L year interviewing-time. I never thought ppl in my school were competitive until this year when its like wolves fighting for prey

TTThe Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:07:00 AM »
We got same as everyone... some douches, some real cool folks to go drinking with.  Its a mixed bag, but the overall atmosphere is surprisingly relaxed and people seem nice.

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »
It's that first year as a new associate when they realize they don't know a damn thing that the attitude starts to dissipate.  Once I went full time and was around the school during the day I realized how annoying people at my school are.  The night program is typically older students, so I didn't see it much, but the kids fresh out of college, oh brother are they full of it.