Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gunners firing blanks?  (Read 3008 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Gunners firing blanks?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 10:53:21 PM »
2x per each class per each day in the semester. IE: In Torts on Wed, don't get called on more than 2x. Same goes for Civ Pro... And so on.

2x in one class period is sufficient to offer your worldview, an answer to a question or to ask a question. If you have additional worldviews, a different hypo or more questions, you need to go to the prof and talk to him after class. There are 50-100 people in your section and the class needs to keep moving on. Don't hold it up. If you're called on for Socratic, obviously that is a bit different-- the prof may stay on you for 15 or 30 minutes to talk and answer his questions.

The point is this: Your classmates will get annoyed with you being Mr. Smarty-Pants or That Annoying Guy Who Won't Shut the Heck Up if your hand is always in the air. It's great if you don't care about what other people think of you, but you will be working with or for these people some day, or possibly need a referral. Don't sour your reputation now.

Just use some discretion. Class time isn't personal 1-on-1 time for you and the professor.

I haven't invented this "rule"-- it's just some friendly advice that several upperclassmen and lawyers gave me when I was starting out in the whole law school admissions process when I asked, "What is your advice for surviving law school courses?" I think it makes some sense. Respect the people around you and use office hours if you want to wax philosophic about UCC 2-207 or have multiple questions.
Vanderbilt 2010

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 11:33:02 PM »
It's great if you don't care about what other people think of you, but you will be working with or for these people some day, or possibly need a referral. Don't sour your reputation now.

Maybe it's because I've left the fire service, or just because I recognized the value of the above statements before I started law school, but I'm being nicer to people now than I ever have been.  Not suck-up nice, just a little more respectful and cooperative.  It's worth it, too...a classmate backed me up in Torts the other day, telling the prof my recitation of a disputed fact was correct.  He didn't have to do that, and I damn sure thanked him after class.

On a related note...soon after the bridge collapse in Minneapolis I found the mission statement for the MFD online.  It read:

"Be Safe.  Be Nice.  Be Prepared."

We would all do well to remember that mantra for our three years of law school.  (I'm guessing the "be safe" part could speak to moderation in all of the fun activities in which law students like to engage... ;)
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

riddle1010

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »
I have one more to add to the list...

If your prof asks a question and you are the only one with your hand raised, and your prof continues to look around the room looking for someone else to call on....you are a gunner

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 05:08:17 AM »
"Mr. _____, I don't give a damn about your philosophy"

That was my tort professor's response to some kid trying to inject his opinion into the matter.  It was awesome...
testing testing 1 2 3

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 08:39:19 AM »
"Mr. _____, I don't give a d**mn about your philosophy"

That was my tort professor's response to some kid trying to inject his opinion into the matter.  It was awesome...

:D :D :D

I remember that!  Hilarious!  The kid is alright though, just happened to catch the old man on a bad day.