Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gunners firing blanks?  (Read 2973 times)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Gunners firing blanks?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 10:19:54 AM »
I unfortunately think I might be thought of as a gunner.  :'( I am always raising my hand, but not to show off, it is because I want to know if my take on an issue is correct , and many times no one else will bring up my issue so I am left wondering if I was incorrect, or if others just didn't think of what I thought.  Hopefully I am not getting a bad reputation. I'm actually a pretty laid back law student, I try not to get too much into the competition but I do like knowing if I am correct or incorrect in class.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 11:52:44 AM »
sometimes I'd imagine a couple weeks of class will get people to chill out and realize how little they know...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »
I unfortunately think I might be thought of as a gunner.  :'( I am always raising my hand, but not to show off, it is because I want to know if my take on an issue is correct , and many times no one else will bring up my issue so I am left wondering if I was incorrect, or if others just didn't think of what I thought.  Hopefully I am not getting a bad reputation. I'm actually a pretty laid back law student, I try not to get too much into the competition but I do like knowing if I am correct or incorrect in class.

You need to be going to office hours to see if "your take" on an issue is correct.  No one else in your class cares what your take is, and you're wasting everyone else's class time.  If you seriously don't understand something, then ask.  But if you had a thought about something, or simply "a take" on something, keep it to yourself and hit up office hours.  You're not only likely to get a better answer from the professor, but your classmates might thank you AND you can start building relationships with your professors beyond class (which will help for recommendations for jobs, clerkships, etc.)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »

If you think you're a gunner, you probably are a gunner.

If you don't think you're a gunner and you don't think there are any gunners in your class, but you "regularly participate," you're probably a gunner.
Vanderbilt 2010

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 08:24:33 PM »

If you don't think you're a gunner and you don't think there are any gunners in your class, but you "regularly participate," you're probably a gunner.

eh, I don't really care if people consider me a gunner, because i know that what I am doing now isn't affecting my grades for the better nor is having the professor knowing who I am going to affect my grades at all, i do it for other reasons.  So you are saying that you can't participate in class without being labeled "a gunner"?  What if I enjoy particpating just for the sake of it and for the sake of staying actively involved in the class?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 08:38:14 PM »
Definitely participate. Just don't be the annoying guy who poses irrelevant hypos or has to offer an answer every single time the professor poses a question.

Every lawyer I spoke to about law school said that try to limit participation to being voluntarily called on no more than 2x per class. The way they explained it (and these people attended law schools ranging from T14's to regional T4's) Your classmates find it annoying if you always have something to say, and you may need a favor from one of them in the future.

Definitely participate. But curb your enthusiasm.
Vanderbilt 2010

clee750

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 08:41:22 PM »
We have this one guy who feel the need to argue why his hypo creates some sort of exception to the law. Normally the professor would ask questions to the gunner, but lately the professor has just said, "sorry, thats wrong" and moves on with class. Its the best.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 09:40:18 PM »
2 per class, as in per class session, or per class semester?

Villanova1L

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:06 PM »
I had my contracts professor say, "Bad question, let's keep moving." She also dropped, "Nope, not listening to a hypo, just answer my questions."

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 09:12:21 PM »

eh, I don't really care if people consider me a gunner, because i know that what I am doing now isn't affecting my grades for the better nor is having the professor knowing who I am going to affect my grades at all, i do it for other reasons.  So you are saying that you can't participate in class without being labeled "a gunner"?  What if I enjoy particpating just for the sake of it and for the sake of staying actively involved in the class?

i don't think anyone is saying participation is the same as gunning. if the prof ask someone else a question and before they can open their mouth to answer your hand is in the air, you're a gunner. if after the prof finishes telling you what the issue is you raise your hand and say "but isn't the issue ....", your a gunner. if after the prof has taken the time to tell you what the issue is and what you should take from a case you raise your hand and say something like "but i think the issue is ....", you're a gunner. if after another student speaks you raise your hand and say something like "that makes no sense i think...", you're a gunner. if, as happened in a friend of mine's sections, you have a prof who is considered the premiere expert on the death penalty in the country and one of the preeminent experts on criminal law in the country, tells you something about the criminal law and you raise your hand and say "i think you're wrong about that", you're a gunner.
...man, you was who you was before you got here