Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gunners firing blanks?  (Read 3019 times)

TheReasonableMan

• View Profile
Gunners firing blanks?
« on: September 15, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »
Anyone else suffering through the unending commentary of what I have come to call "gunners firing blanks?"  You know this guy.  Regardless of topic, his hand is the first one up to propose some irrelevant hypo in a condescending tone, to the groans of everyone else in the class.  While his smirk indicates that he has just one-upped the professor (based upon the blank stare and the deep sigh from the prof), the professor is merely at a loss of words trying to understand how this guy's completely irrelevant commentary has anything to do with what the class is talking about.

What follows is generally a long pause, as the professor tries to avoid the temptation to strangle our our would be gunner and then goes into a series of questions to ascertain exactly what the f**k this guy thinks he's talking about.  This is when we arrive at the most fun part of all.  As the professor gives up and tries to get back to addressing actual material of the class, the gunner failure interjects approximately every fifteen seconds so that he may just "explain" the weighty concepts tossing around inside his little head to the professor (who obviously just does not understand first year law well enough to understand the complex esoteric notions that our junior Prosser back there has conjured up).  It usually ends with our gunner continuing his target practice with the professor up at the lectern after class, while the rest of the class waits patiently to ask the relevant questions that they did not get a chance to fit in between  his pontification.

So, just me?

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Gunners firing blanks?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 12:17:39 PM »
No, we have one of these guys in our section too. As soon as he opens his mouth, all the eyes begin to roll.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »
We have one of those, too. The people sitting around me and I call him "Hypo-Man: Avenger of Would-Be Scenarios." We drew him a little Superman-style shield and everything with a very impressive "H" instead of Superman's "S."

Hypo-Man... To the rescue!

He actually got called out a few weeks ago by our Crim Law professor, but was too socially inept to realize it, and continued on with the same line of idiotic questioning in our other classes.

I blame the professors for not being direct enough with these people. If they would just say, "Hypo-Man, that's irrelevant. Let's move on," we'd all get a lot more done.

There are few "What if" people in my class, but for the most part, Hypo-Man is the most consistently annoying, followed by the girl who has to paraphrase back everything the professor says to make sure she is "understanding it right."
Vanderbilt 2010

TheReasonableMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 01:48:21 PM »
I'm actually alright with paraphrase girl. If, in some manner, her restatement is actually helping her or others understand the material, paraphrase girl is fine in my book.  Hypo man seems just seems hopelessly intent on hearing his own voice and playing "stump the professor" with irrelevant commentary.  I suspect (hope) that he is likely to be shut up after first semester grades come out...

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »
I think that most professors hold off on shooting down gunners because many gunners do learn that way, and the professors don't want to either stifle the gunner's education OR to freak out the rest of the class into silence.

My section is lucky, we have four regular gunners and one guy that we call Capt. Artillery.  Any time the professor asks a question, his hand's in the air.  And if the professor has no one else to call on but him his answers are always the same:
"Isn't it because the Court was concerned about.... (enter pointless policy issue that isn't relevant to the entire class)."  Every single time.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »
We have a guy like Capt. Artillery... We call him "Helium Hand Harry."
Vanderbilt 2010

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 07:44:51 PM »
Only one gunner in our section and she's a sweetheart so I don't mind. The prof's don't usually call on her.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 09:18:32 PM »
we don't have many gunners in my section. i hear some of the other sections do though. we do have a policy guy but he's usually somewhere around the mark and he's just trying to make sure he understands so hes not so bad. what we have far more of and what is really getting on my nerves is people who make it far more complicated then it has to be. trying to explain mens rea, the prof will ask a simple question to get the ball rolling like "if x is walking on the pier and bumps into y accidentally knocking him in the water can x be said to have intended to knock y in the water?" this question will inevitably stump whoever is asked there will be 5 minutes of just staring then 2 minutes of "uuuuhhh" follwed finally some 20 mins later and after several attempts at rephrasing the question by the professor in a "uh no i don't think so" ugh its driving me crazy.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 12:26:24 AM »
I haven't had many gunners in my classes yet.

I'm hoping they show up soon though.  It would certainly keep class lively.  :D

Dwigt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:37:40 AM »
My favorite from personal experience is the Gunner who feels the urge to start some irrelevant hypo with just 2 minutes left and which keeps us late 5 minutes and kills my entire break between classes. >:(

OTOH, I sit next to another one so it helps me avoid getting called on because the prof doesn't want to look in our general direction for fear of bogging down the class.