Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Email or Snail Mail thank yous after Callback?  (Read 722 times)

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Email or Snail Mail thank yous after Callback?
« on: September 14, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »
Which do you think are more appropriate? I have it drilled into my head that handwritten notes are better and email is impolite, but I have seen some people mention email thank yous here and they certainly would be faster. Any input would be appreciated.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Email or Snail Mail thank yous after Callback?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:12:42 PM »
I go w/email; it's far easier, far faster, and uses less of the lawyers' time as well (as opposed to taking 45 seconds to open and read your letter, they take 5-10 seconds looking at it online).  The formal letter looks more impressive, so if it's a place that you know won't make the decision immediately, and you really just want to knock their socks off (if you got a callback, it's unlikely you'll need to do that anyway), you can do a snail mail letter.

vivi2

• View Profile
Re: Email or Snail Mail thank yous after Callback?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:58:47 PM »
Exactly. If you know they will be making a decision quickly, then go with the e-mail. It's quick, easy, and you know it will get to them before the hiring committee has its meeting. Send one letter to the recruiting coordinator thanking her and asking her to extend your thanks to the attorneys with whom you met that day. If you know that it is going to take a firm longer to come to a decision, then you can print the letter out on resume paper and send it through the snail mail.