Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is something wrong?  (Read 1806 times)

Mr. Roe

• View Profile
Re: Is something wrong?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 05:09:04 PM »
I am a 1L at Quinnipiac and have all the basic 1L courses: torts, contracts, legal skills (reasearch and writing), criminal, and civil procedure. So far I ahve been working a lot but it doesn't really feel like a lot.... I mean I do the work and it takes a huge amount of time every day (usually all i can do other than the work is sleep, eat etc.) but it doesn't seem all that difficult... sometimes Ill be confused then ill go to a legal dictionary or what have you and it makes it seem pretty straight forward. I volunteer an answer for almost every class and am almost always right. The most demanding of the courses, due to the professor, has been criminal law. I was called on in there socratically and did fine. Although there is a substantial amount of work (particularly now that Legal Skills is kicking in) but it does not seem all that difficult... I read all my cases three/four times, simply reading the first, summarizing notes of each paragraph on the second, highlighting out a brief on the third, then look through the highlights (if i cant alrewady do it by memory) and write out a brief on the computer. I have been doing better on papers than my fellow students in Legal Skills papers so far. But, I am not really stressed at all... maybe its because all I do is school now but I am actually (for the most part) less stressed than undergrad. I do all the work and understand almost everything in class. In the rare ocassion something in class is confusing, the professor will later say something to put it all into context and make it all click. I thought law school was supposed to be a lot more stressful than it has actually been. Also, I am not saying there is not a lot of work because there is but I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it actually is..... am I just doing really well or am I completely missing something? I contribute to almost every class, brief and read everything i need to, and understand the key concepts.... whats missing?

I did take a bunch of undergrad classes in constitutional and comparative law using a casebook and a professor who had graduated with an LLM from Yale... could those have helped?

I have a question for you:  Have you ever heard of paragraphs?

starburst10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »
I am a 1L at Quinnipiac and have all the basic 1L courses: torts, contracts, legal skills (reasearch and writing), criminal, and civil procedure. So far I ahve been working a lot but it doesn't really feel like a lot.... I mean I do the work and it takes a huge amount of time every day (usually all i can do other than the work is sleep, eat etc.) but it doesn't seem all that difficult... sometimes Ill be confused then ill go to a legal dictionary or what have you and it makes it seem pretty straight forward. I volunteer an answer for almost every class and am almost always right. The most demanding of the courses, due to the professor, has been criminal law. I was called on in there socratically and did fine. Although there is a substantial amount of work (particularly now that Legal Skills is kicking in) but it does not seem all that difficult... I read all my cases three/four times, simply reading the first, summarizing notes of each paragraph on the second, highlighting out a brief on the third, then look through the highlights (if i cant alrewady do it by memory) and write out a brief on the computer. I have been doing better on papers than my fellow students in Legal Skills papers so far. But, I am not really stressed at all... maybe its because all I do is school now but I am actually (for the most part) less stressed than undergrad. I do all the work and understand almost everything in class. In the rare ocassion something in class is confusing, the professor will later say something to put it all into context and make it all click. I thought law school was supposed to be a lot more stressful than it has actually been. Also, I am not saying there is not a lot of work because there is but I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it actually is..... am I just doing really well or am I completely missing something? I contribute to almost every class, brief and read everything i need to, and understand the key concepts.... whats missing?

I did take a bunch of undergrad classes in constitutional and comparative law using a casebook and a professor who had graduated with an LLM from Yale... could those have helped?

This one made me laugh out loud.  :)Mr. Roe is funny.

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

of course.... I was just very busy at the time
I am sorry that I did not write the post as though it was a formal paper

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 10:23:23 AM »

[/quote]

of course.... I was just very busy at the time
I am sorry that I did not write the post as though it was a formal paper
[/quote]

I'm not one to care if you've used paragraphs or not. It's your post. You write it as you see fit.

But did you just say that you were too busy to hit the "enter" key a few times?

I think that I get amused by people that use the "I'm too busy" excuse on here.  They're too busy to use paragraphs (or spellcheck. or whatever they're being accused of not doing), but they have the time to read and post on a message board?

That seems...silly.
Hermione Granger is a gunner.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 11:02:36 AM »
honestly, I wouldn't be getting too comfortable yet.  come back in a month and see if you say the same thing.  I'm not sure I knew of anyone in my section who wasnt at least a little confused about something (and by the end of civ pro wanted to scream whenever they heard the word "erie").   

good luck to you though - it sounds like you are putting a lot of time/effort into all this.  I hope your exams show that

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 11:03:20 AM »
Exam prep starts from day one. If you're in law school, it's exam time. Enter the forced curve. Enter understanding of simple statistics. If that doesn't stress you out, you are not working hard enough.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 11:39:19 AM »
Exam prep starts from day one. If you're in law school, it's exam time. Enter the forced curve. Enter understanding of simple statistics. If that doesn't stress you out, you are not working hard enough.

That is ridiculous.  I didn't stress except a) when LRW assignments were due and b) exam time (2 weeks up to the exam).  As a 2L, I'm not stressed at all and don't plan to be until exam time.

There is no need to flip out constantly.  Those that are constant stress balls are the reason why law school sucks.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 11:56:13 AM »
Stress is good in law school; flipping out is not.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 12:01:45 PM »
honestly, I wouldn't be getting too comfortable yet.  come back in a month and see if you say the same thing.  I'm not sure I knew of anyone in my section who wasnt at least a little confused about something (and by the end of civ pro wanted to scream whenever they heard the word "erie").   

good luck to you though - it sounds like you are putting a lot of time/effort into all this.  I hope your exams show that

Yeah.  Wait until you get to Erie in civpro and you'll be like  ??? ??? ???
testing testing 1 2 3