Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Long for an Offer?  (Read 9594 times)

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How Long for an Offer?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:28:48 AM »
After a call back interview, generally how long does it take to hear back?  If I interviewed on Monday, what would the normal time frame be for BIGLAW?

The fun thing is that when you're waiting for offers or invitations to callbacks, you're gonna dive for your phone everytime it rings... and whenever your phone shows a number that isn't stored, you're gonna get all excited... it's awesome. 

Oh and NY biglaw generally take 1-2 weeks.  in my experience it took like 4 business days. 

Good luck I hope the offer comes soon!
testing testing 1 2 3

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 08:43:43 AM »
Monday interview with a early morning offer on Tuesday.  That was quick

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 11:55:42 AM »
I got mine two days after the callback interview. I think the general rule of thumb is anywhere from right after the interview ends (rare, but done by some firms) to about one week or so. If you have not heard by then, you can follow up with the recruiting office to reiterate your interest. Who knows, they may still have you on the shelf until they see what some of your competition is like. If you have not heard after two weeks, you probably got dinged.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Just a follow-up:  I received an offer.  It took a little over a week.  One thing the whole experience has taught me is to ask when they recruiting committee meets.  If you know when they meet, then you will be less anxious since you will have SOME idea when a decision will be made.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 08:47:12 PM »
just to get an opinion from people:

i had a callback about 2 1/2 weeks ago at a nyc biglaw firm and havent heard back from them yet. I checked my e-mail on friday and I had just received an invitation for a cocktail reception for "perspective 2008 summer associates"  do you think this is something they send to all people who got callbacks? does this mean i have an offer and have not found out yet?  should i call the firm and ask?

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 10:33:36 PM »
just to get an opinion from people:

i had a callback about 2 1/2 weeks ago at a nyc biglaw firm and havent heard back from them yet. I checked my e-mail on friday and I had just received an invitation for a cocktail reception for "perspective 2008 summer associates"  do you think this is something they send to all people who got callbacks? does this mean i have an offer and have not found out yet?  should i call the firm and ask?

If it's been longer than 2 weeks I would call and figure out what's going on.  They should have contacted you with an offer or rejection by now. 
testing testing 1 2 3

csloan999

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 11:21:18 PM »
I got an invitation to a firm's reception once after OCI and thought the callback was on the way, but I didn't RSVP for it.  The next week I got a rejection from them.  The point is it might not mean anything that you got the email, BUT make sure you RSVP quickly--they might be wanting to see who actually cares about them enough to show up!  Otherwise, you'll probably get dinged like me (I was WAY overqualified for this firm--they probably sensed that and didn't want to spend the money on me if I wouldnt even come to their free dinner reception at a time that I didn't even have class!).

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »
yeah i probably should not read to much into it.  I"ve gotten invitations for receptions before, but I thought maybe this was different b/c it was after the callback and all.  they did say 2-3 weeks and this week shall begin the third.  I think I will call on monday and inquire on my status

GA-fan

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 11:13:17 AM »
Some firms (particularly smaller offices) wait until they've done a certain number of callbacks to evaluate the candidates and give offers, particularly if they only have a few spaces available. It's very different from the big firms where they're filling a class of 50.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 11:33:38 AM »
Some firms (particularly smaller offices) wait until they've done a certain number of callbacks to evaluate the candidates and give offers, particularly if they only have a few spaces available. It's very different from the big firms where they're filling a class of 50.

This is exactly the situation in my city.  I am looking at smaller offices of national firms and strong local firms, and they are all looking at a class size of 2-8 summer associates.  I am being told that decisions will be made in early to mid Oct once they get through with all the callbacks.

Good and bad for me.... I want an offer NOW, but considering most of my callbacks are lined up for this last week of Sept and the first 2 weeks in Oct, it would really hurt me if firms used more of a "first come first serve" motto.
2L