Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Long for an Offer?  (Read 9176 times)

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How Long for an Offer?
« on: September 14, 2007, 11:20:26 AM »
After a call back interview, generally how long does it take to hear back?  If I interviewed on Monday, what would the normal time frame be for BIGLAW?

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How Long for an Offer?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »
I had 2 BigLaw callbacks.  One gave me an offer 2 days after my callback.  I interviewed with the other one a week ago today and no news yet.  I've had 3 mid size call-backs and one was two weeks ago today.  Still no news.  One of them said their hiring committee meets once every two weeks.

Has anyone received a snail-mail rejection after a call back.  I heard the firms always give phone calls after the call-backs to let you know either way.  Is this true? 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:19:54 PM »
I had callbacks the last two weeks.  One smaller Big Law firm (im not sure how to define what they are) gave me an offer about a week and a half later.  The same day, I got a rejection via regular mail from a very large firm. Kinda killed the excitement I had from the offer.  I am about 1/1.5 weeks for the other firms at this point and am anxiously awaiting phone calls.  Typically, offers come later thursday or friday, or so I have been told as committees usually meet on thursdays (at least in my city and from what they have told me).  This process sucks. I want it to be over. 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 05:50:43 PM »
I second that Thorc.  It's so stressful.

GA-fan

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »
I just got an offer from a firm I interviewed with on 8/30. At least the last couple weeks have been hectic for firms with tons of recruits and labor day in the middle- so I'd give it a week or up to two before I started to worry.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 04:59:59 PM »
Any other insight out there?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 10:51:38 PM »
no :( still not getting offers... maybe I smell bad?

Anonymous2L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
I had three callbacks before Sept 1 (all NYC BigLaw) - I heard from 2 of them at the same time (w/in a day of each other) a little over two weeks later (phone offers). The 3rd (I'm not saying which...let's just say it's the biggest law firm in the world) has STILL not gotten back to me. I contacted the recruiting director last week, she apologized and said the hiring committee hadn't met yet. Uh, yeah, it's been a month. Anyway, I had 4 more callbacks this past week - Monday through Wednesday - and I got two offers on Thursday - one firm took three days, the other took two. One of those firms meets twice a week - Tues & Thurs - to make hiring decisions, so candidates hear really quickly. The firm at which I used to paralegal, for another example, meets once a week. It's possible that at smaller firms or offices, they meet even less frequently. Another factor is also that when a firm makes a decision to hire you, they'll tell your screening interviewer/person you know or connect with at the firm to call you. If that person gets busy, they may put off calling you for a day or two. This would obviously delay you hearing.

Basically, I don't personally believe there's a blanket rule. If you interviewed on Monday, I wouldn't sweat it if you haven't heard - it's possible that their hiring committee meets on Fridays and therefore you wouldn't get a call til next Monday. Alternatively - it IS possible that if you're right around their cutoff (in terms of numbers, etc. - aka a "fringe person") then a firm could make you wait longer; they may wait to interview other candidates from your school, etc, to see how it shakes out. No matter what I would call or email the head of recruiting if you haven't heard in two weeks.

Wow this is really long. Just remember to breathe! It's so stressful, but it will be over SO soon.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

eagles456

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 11:25:15 PM »
my monday interview resulted in a friday offer. but then again i had two wednesday interviews and each took two weeks for offers. who the hell knows.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 12:28:23 AM »
my dings took two weeks...