Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Some help please...  (Read 1333 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Some help please...
« on: May 24, 2004, 07:44:00 PM »
I'm about to join the ranks of those who type out logic game questions for help.. :P  Sorry if this one's been asked already, but here goes..

Dec 1996, Game #3

An attorney is scheduling interviews with witnesses for a given week, Monday through Saturday.  Two full consecutive days of the week must be reserved for interviewing hostile witnesses.  In addition, nonhostile witnesses Q, R. U, X, Y, and Z will each be intervied exactly once for a full morning or afternoon.  The only witnesses who will be interviewed simultaneously with each other are Q and R.  The following conditions apply:

X must be interviewed on Thursday morning
Q must be intervied at some time before X
U must be interviewed at some time before R
Z must be intervied at some time after X and at some time after Y.

Here's what I got:

QR>X>Z

QR>U

Y>Z

AM   __  __  __  __  __  __

PM   __  __  __  X   __  __

M   T   W   T   F   S

And QR can't go on Saturday or Friday afternoon, since both U, X, and Z have to go after.

I'm finding all the questions really hard, and the QR thing and the block for hostile witnesses is screwing me up as well.  A little guidence would be a great help, even if it's just helping make the bigger inferences to point me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance everyone!

riceowl

• 3.93; June 14;
    • View Profile
Re: Some help please...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 08:04:37 PM »
I noticed two problems with your deductions.

First, you stated that QR is interviewed at some time before U (QR>U).  The third clue, however, states that U must be interviewed at some time prior to R - this should be stated as U>QR. Thus, QR CAN be interviewed on Friday afternoon (only X and Z need to come after QR).

Second, X is interviewed on Thursday morning (not Thursday afternoon). As a consequence, you can deduce that none of the hostile witnesses can be interviewed on Thursday.

I could probably be of more help if I knew the questions. 

Hope this helps!
155-154-168-159-167-165-164-161(ouch)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Some help please...
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 09:40:53 PM »
Duh on my part for the U before R mix up..and the X thing I actually had correctly...I just put AM in my diagram on the exam on the bottom.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake!  I'm going to sit down and see if that'll fix my problems, and hopefully I can put this game behind me!