Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Freaking out  (Read 4565 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Freaking out
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 11:09:09 AM »
plus, salaries are going up to 190K according to a recruiting coordinator at a boston firm, so they are going to have to cut back on the number of new attorneys/summers... at least in my opinion...

That is just insane.  Absolutely insane.  I hope it's true.

I'll believe it when it happens. I've heard a few rumors myself of a salary increase, but it's mainly coming from unnamed sources through current students... wishful thinking? Time will tell.

My info came from the recruiting coordinator at Goodwin Proctor.  We will see though...

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
if the economy keeps crapping out who knows what'll happen with the salaries...
testing testing 1 2 3

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 12:08:30 PM »
I do have 2 years work experience in finance and I am targeting NC, primarily Charlotte, which is supposed to be the second biggest financial center in the states. I thought it would be a good match, lol.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

danboltonage22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 02:01:12 PM »
Where did you go to undergrad?  That seems to matter at national and regional charlotte firms.       

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 11:57:50 PM »
It is true...I heard that salaries will be going up to 190K from a partner at a V100 firm. Yay!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 12:19:01 AM »
It is true...I heard that salaries will be going up to 190K from a partner at a V100 firm. Yay!

I would be very excited, but still no offer :(

QuakerLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 12:28:35 AM »
I do have 2 years work experience in finance and I am targeting NC, primarily Charlotte, which is supposed to be the second biggest financial center in the states. I thought it would be a good match, lol.

In a market like Charlotte, your ties to the city are WAY WAY more important than your academic or work background. If you aren't from there, don't have family there, or don't have a wife from there, they will basically just write you off and move on.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 02:19:51 AM »
Ever since Orrick raised the entire west coast to 160, the word has been that 190 was next.  A Bay Area legal consulting firm started it off.  Rumors have swirled for months but still no changes.  The thought originally was that all of this would happen by recruiting season.  It hasn't, obviously. 

Now, with the slow-down in the economy, it's unlikely we'll see that raise anytime soon.  But then again, it only takes one firm to raise.  When they do, V50 and below probably won't be going up.  The market is really segmenting (check out the differences between bonuses at the firm's you working for and also the fact that firms like DLA, Jones Day don't pay lockstep salary). Look for the firm's that have $1.5M PPP or think they are super prestigious to be the one's to raise.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 09:21:33 AM »

In a market like Charlotte, your ties to the city are WAY WAY more important than your academic or work background. If you aren't from there, don't have family there, or don't have a wife from there, they will basically just write you off and move on.
I think most markets are like that.  Even NYC, Chicago, LA, etc., want candidates to have ties to that city or region.  It's more of a preference than a reqt for these cities, but of youre from TX or GA, I'd think a NY or Chicago firm would be more hesitant extending you an offer than they would someone from MI or NJ.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 10:06:39 AM »
I want to weigh in on the local ties issue. This is a huge problem for me as well. I am in law school in the mdiwest and not from here. We only moved here from the East Coast a few years ago for my husband to do his residency. We chose to stay after he finished, and he took a job here but until I explain that in screening interviews, people seem very hesitant about me, even though I am on LR and have very hugh grades. I think it factored into me not getting callbacks from my first batch of screening interviews, and then I started mentioning that we had the chance to move this summer and instead chose to stay, and I have been getting more callbacks all of a sudden.

My point is basically that law firms really do seem to care, especially in non-major markets, so if you can come up with any local tie, promote the heck out of it.