Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Freaking out  (Read 4543 times)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Freaking out
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:03:57 PM »
I've had 10 interviews, no callbacks. Top 33% (estimated?!?) and LR at top 20 school. Only one more week of interviews and I'm freaking out. What in the world is going on? Am I in this boat alone?
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Freaking out
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »
Some places have taken as much time as 1 or 2 weeks to give callbacks. Also, where you are at as far as class rank, law review, etc. doesn't make a difference once you get the interview, so put that aside. 

I am at a top 22 law school... I have friends on law review/top 15% who have had very little luck getting callbacks.  You may still get something though, so I would not give up hope.

I would call the CDO at your school and try and get a mock interview set up asap so you can get feedback in case you are doing something wrong.  Statistically, you should have had 1-3 callbacks out of the interviews, so either it is taking them some time to get back to you still or maybe you are messing it up some how. All you need is one callback and one offer.  Ill keep my fingers crossed for you though... 

danboltonage22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:44:59 PM »
Are you just out of undergrad or do you have some work experience?  I've seen many younger classmates at my T2 struggle with OCI.  Go to a mock interview, but remember that you're not on a sales interview.  You don't have to close them.  Getting the interview means your qualified.  I've found that making conversation and getting the interviewers to like me is working. 

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 10:39:09 PM »
Im in a similar position, minus the LR.  I've already performed a mock interview, which didnt seem all that helpful.  The mock interviewer told me that I didnt exhibit any poor interviewing qualities and that I seemed personable enough.  The main thing they told me was that the majority dont find employment through OCI and told me to get me resume out to cities where I have connections, as well as targeting some smaller firms as well.  She also told me to check up on any resumes I submit.

On a more positive note, a 3L told me he received 2 callbacks in October from firms he interviewed with the first week.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 01:13:44 AM »
What regions are you looking at?  I heard that certain regions are cutting back on summer associate offers b/c of a bad economy and whatnot.  I haven't done much research into this but from what i've heard and read this might be a bit of a problem for us...
testing testing 1 2 3

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 01:44:50 AM »
plus, salaries are going up to 190K according to a recruiting coordinator at a boston firm, so they are going to have to cut back on the number of new attorneys/summers... at least in my opinion...

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 08:11:03 AM »
plus, salaries are going up to 190K according to a recruiting coordinator at a boston firm, so they are going to have to cut back on the number of new attorneys/summers... at least in my opinion...

That is just insane.  Absolutely insane.  I hope it's true.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »

I know its true, or at least am almost positive.  The scary thing is she said that the boston firm was going up to 190K when NY firms did and they were setting the money aside to follow in DC.  Honestly, I do not hope its true.  There is no way we will ever be worth 190.  Plus, I think that they will increase the minimum billables therefore taking away the productivity bonus.  Its scary to me.  Its only a matter of time before the legal market collapses and firms start going under.  160 is crazy, but 190 can't be maintainable. 

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 10:07:32 AM »

There is no way we will ever be worth 190.  

Yes. There is a very slim chance that a law grad is worth 190K straight out of the box, but then again the majority of law grads won't get that type of salary. Probably less then 10% will.

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 11:05:32 AM »

I'll believe it when it happens. I've heard a few rumors myself of a salary increase, but it's mainly coming from unnamed sources through current students... wishful thinking? Time will tell.