Law School Discussion

T4 v T1

USC313

• View Profile
T4 v T1
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:18:49 PM »
I just have some general questions regarding the tier rankings that we seem to measure our lives by.

1.) If your at a T4 school and in the top 5% of your class, what are your odds of transferring to a T1 school? The posts about this topic seem to disagree as to whether or not your LSAT score matters as much given your high class rank. Also, anyone ever make this transfer?

2.) Are you career prospects still better at a T1 school if your an "average" student than at a T4, top 5%, law review, etc.? (Disregarding all the other factor that weigh into this, such as job market/school's reputation).

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Re: T4 v T1
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 06:04:08 AM »
Top of your class at at T4 will get you into some "Big" firms in the area your school is located. The problem is that it's tough to get into the top 5% and even tougher to stay there. Moving to a T1, depending on which one, will give you a range of options beyond that of a T4.  In my case I went from a T4 that had less than 10 firms for OCI to a T1 that has over 400.  My odds are way better then they would have been if I had stayed.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:39:38 AM »
Check out these resources:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,6802.0.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

Forget about tiers, beyond the top 25-30 schools, the rankings mean much less than you think. If you do make the top 5%, you should apply to several schools (10 or more) and aim as high as you can (top 14 or better).

Students with a top 5% ranking are generally pretty successful, but sometimes the results can be a little difficult to predict, moreso than when you first applied to law school.  I transferred from a tier 2 school to one of the top 14, but was rejected by some of the top 25 schools I applied to.

A few transfers at my new school did come from tier 4 schools, including one from one of the worst tier 4 schools in the country. To be fair, that person was probably one of the top 5 students in their class.

Your job prospects will be better at the new school, generally. A lot depends on how far up the rankings you transfer. A few people have had problems with on campus interviews and the job search after transferring. More info on that can be found in the yahoo transfer group.

One thing to keep in mind is that you'd be using your grades and class rank from your old school when doing on campus interviews in fall of your second year. This means that your grades at your new school probably wouldn't really factor into your job search. So, even if your grades drop a little, you shouldn't have problems. This is because at the higher ranked schools, employers tend to recruit farther into the class than at the lower ranked ones.

For example, to get an offer with a big firm in your city, you'd probably need to be top 5% or maybe even one of the top 5-10 students depending on factors such as school rep and location. At a top 25 school, you'd only need to be in the top 1/3 or top 1/4. At a top 14, merely being in the top half may be good enough. At a top 5 school, any class rank might suffice, even if you are in the bottom 1/4.

Like rutherford said, the difference in recruiting is very different at the higher ranked schools. My old tier 2 had about 40-50 employers (public and private) come for OCI. If you weren't in the top 25%, you couldn't get a single interview because all interviews were done by a pre-screened selection process. Some employers would not talk to you if you were not in the top 10% AND on law review.

At my new school, well over 500 law firms interview at OCI and all interviews are assigned by a lottery bidding system. Only government employers are allowed to pre-screen students.

nsin

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:10:37 AM »
What T4 school did Ruth transfer from? Also what T14 school do you go to brightline?
Also what were you lsat score range as the person asked if lsat matters when transferring from t4 to t1.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 11:25:25 AM »
LSAT does not really matter for transferring except for a very few schools (Harvard, UNC, maybe others).  Top 5% will give you some options and you may even be able to get into a T14.  I went from a T4 to a T1 with top 15% grades.  I'm currently at a 40s T1 school.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 11:49:20 AM »
with top 5%, you should try Georgetown beside others, since they accept large number of transfers. You have better chance of OCI at GULC than T4 schools.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 12:12:28 PM »
LSAT doesn't matter when transferring, with some very limited exceptions.

My LSAT range was 155-160. My class rank after first year was between top 5-10%.

I'd rather not say what T14 I attend now, but I will say that it isn't in the top 5.

To further underscore that LSAT pretty much doesn't matter when transferring, check the transferapps group database.

Here is an anecdote: the guy who was number 1 after first year in my class transferred to a better T14 than the one I went to. His LSAT scores averaged out to below 150.

What T4 school did Ruth transfer from? Also what T14 school do you go to brightline?
Also what were you lsat score range as the person asked if lsat matters when transferring from t4 to t1.