Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I got an offer from Wachtell, prestigious?  (Read 10344 times)

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I got an offer from Wachtell, prestigious?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 11:57:27 PM »
what's watchell? is it a good firm?

:D

decent firm, but I might take Gibson Dunn over Wachtell, I don't know if I can take the brutal environment at Wachtell. 

really?  not sure if you are being sarcastic as you often are, but I cant imagine the environment at Gibson Dunn being so much better as to give up the bonuses at Wachtell....

The money can alleviate much of the pain, I totally agree, but I think once you have enough, more of the same thing doesn't make you a whole lot happier. I heard Gibson is a lot nicer though, less hour and generally friendlier office environment.  I should perhaps schedule a 2nd look at each firm to find out for myself.  It will be dumb if I pick a job where i will make 60% of the money and work the same hours.
Yale Law School - Class of 09

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 12:02:29 AM »
definitely a good idea, have you done the second meeting thing yet?  I kinda wanna get some free meals, and am not sure how to go about asking for that?  Yea, I am that ghetto.  That makes sense though.  I would still be tempted to do a year at Wachtell, pay off the student loans, then switch to Gibson who would definitely take you as a lateral.  I guess thats me though, I am at a point in my life where I really wouldnt mind devoting most of my time to a firm. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 12:03:28 AM »
i wish i was prestigious.

i'm hoping for a vault 50 firm.

hell, many people are just hoping for a firm... so vault 50 would be a blessing...

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 12:09:52 AM »
definitely a good idea, have you done the second meeting thing yet?  I kinda wanna get some free meals, and am not sure how to go about asking for that?  Yea, I am that ghetto.  That makes sense though.  I would still be tempted to do a year at Wachtell, pay off the student loans, then switch to Gibson who would definitely take you as a lateral.  I guess thats me though, I am at a point in my life where I really wouldnt mind devoting most of my time to a firm. 

I was thinking along exactly the same line at the beginning of the season.  Most top law firms seem to be such unpleasant place to work though, I think I would want to kill myself 5 years into the job.  I think Wachtell and Kirkland are the only 2 firms that are worth the sacrifice: they both give substantially above market bonus. 

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 08:04:52 PM »

I was thinking along exactly the same line at the beginning of the season.  Most top law firms seem to be such unpleasant place to work though, I think I would want to kill myself 5 years into the job.  I think Wachtell and Kirkland are the only 2 firms that are worth the sacrifice: they both give substantially above market bonus. 

I go to Yale too.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 11:29:45 AM »
I go to Yale too.

So what? I have no respect for my dumb classmates.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
YLS c/o 2009

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2007, 11:03:08 PM »
He's just doing this for attention.  There's a reason his rep. score is a -81.

People at Cooley often say: "Yale is just another law school, same as our Thomas Cooley Law School.  In fact, we have better 'social skill' and 'people skill' than those at Yale and we will ultimately be more successful in practice."  Can we say sour grape?

fyi, it is very common for people at Yale to get offer from Wachtell, Cravath, Sullivan, DPW and Simpson.  There is nothing spectacular, unlike at your sorry TTT school, where everyone's busting his ass to get a job at Milbank.   

Aww, that's cute!  You updated your post to throw in another insult! :)

LawStudent72

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 02:08:53 PM »
He's just doing this for attention.  There's a reason his rep. score is a -81.

People at Cooley often say: "Yale is just another law school, same as our Thomas Cooley Law School.  In fact, we have better 'social skill' and 'people skill' than those at Yale and we will ultimately be more successful in practice."  Can we say sour grape?

fyi, it is very common for people at Yale to get offer from Wachtell, Cravath, Sullivan, DPW and Simpson.  There is nothing spectacular, unlike at your sorry TTT school, where everyone's busting his ass to get a job at Milbank.   

I happen to go to school with McLovin and trust me, it is not a tier 3 school pal.

Having said that, allow me to point out a few things to you that your overly-inflated ego may not have permitted you to notice:

1.  The very nature and subject of this topic in addition to your opening line demonstrate categorically that you are a preening, self-important feminine hygiene product with a rather pathetic need to seek personal validation online through boorish and self-congratulatory behavior.

2. Your ubiquitous existence on these message boards suggests a cry for help or is at best akin to a form of self flagellation that divulges a frustrated psyche seeking some as of yet unobtainable satisfaction.  You would do as well, if not better with a fistful of singles at the local skin emporium where thankfully, the only people languishing under your incessant droning would be a bunch of disinterested harlots whose blase and perfunctory grinding could in the very least be meagerly compensated in six minute increments.

3. The fact that you have not failed, with every opportunity presented, to point out that you attend Yale or to name-drop some prestigious potential employer tells the rest of us that you are an insecure gasbag perfectly cut out to spend the next five years as a good little worker bee, mechanichally churning out inconsequential briefs with deft precision, all while mindlessly failing to question your vapid and lackluster existence.

Good luck making a bunch of stodgy patricians who lacked the sense or the character to retire, even richer than they already are.  I'm sure that after countless hours spent in some dreary fourth floor office your relentless approval seeking is bound to get you noticed.

Also, congratulations on getting into Yale and congratulations on your offers, though I can't help being left to wonder whether a guy like yourself who has no trouble casting aspersion on those of us attending a lower-tier institution, would even have the sack to compete in an environment where your performance is actually graded rather than hiding out in a pass-fail influence factory and waiting for his golden ticket to simply be handed to him.

All the best.

Wildcat Law Student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2007, 05:47:11 PM »
Pwned.