Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why go to BigLaw?  (Read 3244 times)

nglez09

• View Profile
Why go to BigLaw?
« on: September 10, 2007, 08:55:23 PM »
I have been reading some articles, biographies and visiting several law office websites to find out about being a plaintiff trial lawyer.

It seems to me that it is well worth it working off of contingency fees, especially because one can choose which cases to accept and which to decline.

If the money in trial lawyering far exceeds (for the most part) BigLaw salaries, why do so many stay at BigLaw?

And what's the path for becoming a lawyer like the one I mentioned?

I'm not really sure what they're called. . .personal injury lawyers?

If anyone could offer more insight, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Ad oculos

• View Profile
Re: Why go to BigLaw?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »
If the money in trial lawyering far exceeds (for the most part) BigLaw salaries, why do so many stay at BigLaw?

It doesn't.  For the vast majority, it's not even close.  For a handful, it's far better.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 07:12:53 AM »
Ad is right.  For most PI attorneys, you won't make near the amount you would in BIGLAW, especially once you add in bonuses on top of the BIGLAW salary.

And from talking with some people who worked in Plaintiff's firms, working on contingency fees isn't all that great.  You take crap little cases to get some cash here and there, while you hope to get a big money case.  You live big case to big case.  And this is assuming you've put in the time and paid your dues to actually become a good trial attorney with a good reputation.  There are plenty of Plaintiff's Attys out there who are sleazy and will spend their life doing little more than ambulance chasing.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 12:30:20 PM »
I people really want big money, they shouldn't go into law at all.  They should be out there working in the business world.  :)