Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where the heck to start with outline  (Read 3552 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: where the heck to start with outline
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 10:07:20 PM »
tag

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 10:25:51 PM »
hey, okay, let me see if i can remember to get all the questions.

1. dont worry about not being able to afford commercial outlines.  I did not use one (well, okay, i used the bar bri one, but not much).  I mostly used an outline bank from my school.  Most schools have a bank of old outlines on the SBA website.  if my professor was knew to the school, I pulled one off of NYU's outline bank.  I felt like that had pretty comprehensive outlines, and I used it to make sure I was on track. I did not use their format though as their outlines are pretty big.

2. As far as my outlining, I typically would spend all day saturday and sunday working on one class.  I would get close to being done with that one class, then I would finish up as best I could the entire next week.  the next saturday, I would put the outline I was working on away and start a new class even if I was not finished.  I did this for four weeks, then revisited the outlines I was working on.  It works significantly better to do one class at a time.  Also, if you print all your notes/briefs, you can read one section of your notes (like one key topic in the book) over once.  Then read the notes again with a highlighter and highlight the important stuff.  Then take what was important from that section and put it into an outline.

3. Cases: Remember your first memo in legal research and writing?  You take about six cases, and extract the rules from those cases and put it into one big rule making notes of the exception.  that is kinda how you outline.  You take the relevant rules.  Typically in classes, there is one old rule that was important, a middle rule, and a new rule.  You take the case with the new rule and break the holding into numbers as sort of a check list. Then, ever case after the main case adds something to it, so you put little rules under neath of it that each case added.  Oh, and you may want to do the same for the old section and the middle section of cases, even if they have been overruled.  It wont take much space and may help if you get a policy question.  Anyway, after every rule, i wwill put a little thing in parentheticals in small type saying (Asahi: valve stems, contact with state wasn't enough)  I basically try to fit as much as I can in under the line.  I dont usually go to a second line, so I will do as much as I can within those limits. 

4.  Do not start now.  That is why you are having problems right now outlining.  Wait till the middle or end of october.  people start too early.  I know I flipped out when people were outlining right away, but dont buy into it. 

5. good luck.  I know it is difficult to outline.  look at a bunch of ones on your outline bank or from upperclassmen that have taken your class before to get ideas.  In the end though, you have to do what works for you.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 10:42:05 PM »
hey, okay, let me see if i can remember to get all the questions.

1. dont worry about not being able to afford commercial outlines.  I did not use one (well, okay, i used the bar bri one, but not much).  I mostly used an outline bank from my school.  Most schools have a bank of old outlines on the SBA website.  if my professor was knew to the school, I pulled one off of NYU's outline bank.  I felt like that had pretty comprehensive outlines, and I used it to make sure I was on track. I did not use their format though as their outlines are pretty big.

2. As far as my outlining, I typically would spend all day saturday and sunday working on one class.  I would get close to being done with that one class, then I would finish up as best I could the entire next week.  the next saturday, I would put the outline I was working on away and start a new class even if I was not finished.  I did this for four weeks, then revisited the outlines I was working on.  It works significantly better to do one class at a time.  Also, if you print all your notes/briefs, you can read one section of your notes (like one key topic in the book) over once.  Then read the notes again with a highlighter and highlight the important stuff.  Then take what was important from that section and put it into an outline.

3. Cases: Remember your first memo in legal research and writing?  You take about six cases, and extract the rules from those cases and put it into one big rule making notes of the exception.  that is kinda how you outline.  You take the relevant rules.  Typically in classes, there is one old rule that was important, a middle rule, and a new rule.  You take the case with the new rule and break the holding into numbers as sort of a check list. Then, ever case after the main case adds something to it, so you put little rules under neath of it that each case added.  Oh, and you may want to do the same for the old section and the middle section of cases, even if they have been overruled.  It wont take much space and may help if you get a policy question.  Anyway, after every rule, i wwill put a little thing in parentheticals in small type saying (Asahi: valve stems, contact with state wasn't enough)  I basically try to fit as much as I can in under the line.  I dont usually go to a second line, so I will do as much as I can within those limits. 

4.  Do not start now.  That is why you are having problems right now outlining.  Wait till the middle or end of october.  people start too early.  I know I flipped out when people were outlining right away, but dont buy into it. 

5. good luck.  I know it is difficult to outline.  look at a bunch of ones on your outline bank or from upperclassmen that have taken your class before to get ideas.  In the end though, you have to do what works for you.

We have legal research and legal writing is during the second semester... So, we've just been doing research. Actually, our final for that class is Oct. 5, quickly approaching. I assume there's no use in making an outline for that class?

Thanks for the tips. If I wait until October,w ill I still have adequate time to do practice exams and read over E&Es, etc.? I read somewhere on here that a girl started super early on outlines so she'd have more time to do these things.

So basically, if I start in October and spend one weekend on each class (how many hrs per outline, would you say?), I should be done in four weekends, theoretically, and then when classes end, I tweak them before the exam?

Thank ya!

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 08:21:28 AM »
1.  Commercial outlines are not necessary to do well.  If they make you feel better, go for it.  But if your professor is doing his/her job right they shouldn't be necessary.

2.  I started outlining after every "section" on the syllabus.  Therefore, when you start outlining for each class would depend on how the class is structured.  For instance, I think I did my first section of my torts outline pretty early (maybe late sept/early oct) since all we had covered was intentional torts, and that's short.  On the other hand, I don't think I start contracts until weeks later because we spent a lot of time on consideration.

3.  No need to freak out.  IMO just manage your time so that you have all your outlines done before the start of read period.  You'll have plenty of time to review and do practice exams during read period/in between exams.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 08:40:21 AM »
Id say for outlines it was roughly 20 hours per outline.  And yes, if you start 5 weeks before finals, you will have one week for each, and one week to catch up all your outlines.  I did practice exams once finals week started.  I saved them for then and my outlines were always done by that point, so I would have the time between exams to practice with my outlines.  I never did E&Es, except when it was assigned for class.  As far as legal research goes, you definitely dont need to outline it.

sir_scott

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 07:40:12 PM »
For what it is worth:  I start outlining after we have covered enough material for me to outline.  That has typically been around 4-7 weeks.  After I start, I cyclically update them every 2-3 weeks, again depending on having covered enough material to outline.  It is a waste of time to outline a subject while the prof. is still covering it.  For instance, outlining personal jurisdiction in CivPro prior to having fully covered it in class.  Once covered fully, I prefer to outline it while it is still fresh in my mind.  How much time?  As for me, I find that I spend about an hour per week per class to outline.  So a 14 week semester = 14hrs outlining for that class (roughly).  I suspect it would take me longer if I waited until the end of the semester before starting.

TitoJay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 04:43:08 PM »
My two cents: go to this website:

www.lawnerds.com

;D Enjoy! ;D

danbranum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 12:53:50 AM »
Check out my outlines