Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where the heck to start with outline  (Read 3497 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
where the heck to start with outline
« on: September 09, 2007, 07:19:08 PM »
So I was going to start my civ pro outline tonight, but I have no idea where to start. I started making the main headings and subheads from my casebook's contents, but when I opened class and reading notes, I didn't know what the heck to do.

Tips?

Am I supposed to just attempt to synthesize everything together? This is nuts.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: where the heck to start with outline
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 07:28:39 PM »
III. Personal Jurisdiction: 12(b)(2): must satisfy statute and due process or can be dismissed
   A. Jurisdictional Statute: must satisfy this & due process
      1. State Jurisdictional statutes: (long arm statute)
         a. some allow maximum permissible with the due process clause.
         b. torts
                   1. Gust v. Flint
            i. tort: occurs where damage occurs
            ii. tortuous act: occurs where negligence is done.
              2. Grey v. American: tortuous act is where damage occurs.       
      2. Federal Jurisdictional statues: FRCP 4(K): territorial limits of effective service
      1) Summons is effective to establish jurisdiction over the person of a defendant
         a) who could be subject to the jurisdiction of the court of general jurisdiction in                the state in which the court is located.
         b) who is a party joined and is served within judicial district of U.S. and not                more then 100 miles from the place where the summons was                issued.
         c) who is subject to the federal interpleader jurisdiction
         d) when authorized by a US statute.
      2) if the exercise of jurisdiction is consistent with the Constitution.  Serving a claim is          also effective, under federal law, to establish in personam jurisdiction over          defendant who is not subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of general             jurisdiction of any state.
   B. Due Process: must satisfy jurisdiction statutes too

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 07:32:03 PM »
Okay, so that got messed up when I copied and pasted it. 

Basically, I think you are starting too early, but Ill give you an approach that I used.  I printed all my notes and briefs.  I then took the glossary of the book.  I would put a heading into my outline from a section.  Usually, I would include the subheadings as well.  I would then read the corresponding section of my notes and briefs and highlight the relevant information.  For Civ Pro, I usually just took the rules and made that the relevant part where it fit into a section.  Then I would put the information under an appropriate heading.  I tried to copy and paste an example.  Look at outline banks though as everyone does it differently.  An outline bank may give you a better idea on how you want yours to be.

Wait till october though :) preferably the end of october. it is too soon to see the big picture.  Plus, a lot of stuff you do in civ pro you will find out is irrelevant later on, and you will have wasted too much time putting it in your outline.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 07:54:21 PM »
heck, if it's too early -- i'm all about procrastinating :) i just thought maybe i'd try to get a leg up and start. but if everyone usually waits later or if waiting helps you do better, then that's cool too.

did you use similar tactics for torts, crim and contracts?

edited to say: i just feel like i'm not doing enough at this point.. i'm keeping up with reading and briefing and all. i just feel like i should be doing more.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 08:06:46 PM »
haha, i think everyone gets the "Im not doing enough" feeling.  Law school is made to seem really hard, and it is not.  It is time consuming, but it is not as time consuming now. 

My advice is to take your calendar and set aside the last five weekends before the last day of class.  Now, take the first four weekends and outline one class subject on each date.  Then, take the last weekend before classes end and update your outlines.  Then, after the last week of classes, your outlines are virtually done, and you can add the last couples days of notes in and start editing, tabbing your outlines.

It is a similar process for each class, you should be fine, dont stress it.

My advice would be to spend as much time socializing and meeting people and enjoying everything that you can.  The work will pick up, and you will not have an opportunity to work on friendships down the line, so do it now :) 

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 09:00:02 PM »
thanks for the advice! i do spend quite a bit of time getting reading done, but not as much as i thought i would.. but, like i said, i know it will pick up. some nights have been rough so far, but not all.

thanks again.

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 02:09:49 PM »
tag
Hermione Granger is a gunner.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »
oh, yea, i forgot too, if you would like copies of some outlines to use as a reference, feel free to message me with your email and Ill send them.  I know most outlines at my school are 40-60 pages and that is a little crazy.  Mine are 10-20 and can actually be used effectively during an exam. 

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 09:46:07 PM »
Thorc, I know you said to wait until October, but I've been hearing many differing opinions on this, such as start NOW, after a month of class.

So, just to practice, I started my contracts one -- but I'm just copying/pasting the info around from my class/reading notes files. And that's no good.

Also, when I mention the cases under the appropriate sections, should I just put like a brief synopsis of what the case is about, the rule, and the holding?

Thanks for anyone's help. I'm stressing about this.

Also -- I'm poor and can't really afford to buy any commercial outlines to compare mine to. Is this a big impediment?

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 09:46:47 PM »
And another question: When you DO begin outlining, do you do an entire class thus far in one sitting?