Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Big Law  (Read 2274 times)

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Big Law
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 11:58:15 PM »
I'm guessing Biglaw offices in your desired markets do not have huge offices. If that's the case, I'm guessing that there are enough students to fill the slots without dipping into T3 students (sure, you've transferred, but all the employers have to go on is your 1L transcript).  Also, you yourself gave me anecdotal evidence that you've had no luck in secondary markets.  Therefore, without something else to bolster your resume, I think it's fair to say you're screwed.  That said, how the f**ck would I or anyone not part of a Biglaw hiring committee/recruiting department know what your prospects really are?  All I'm giving is my (admittedly) ignorant perspective.  And again, Michigan is not my team, Texas is.

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 09:09:20 PM »
You do not need to be on law journal to get a job with BigLaw. I wasn't and I had a bunch of callbacks and now have an offer. If you are at a top 20 school, the fact that you transferred doesn't mean much, imho...I've seen top students at second and third-tier school interviewing at big law firms, but the more important question is, what markets are you targeting? If you are targeting a secondary market or DC (which is notoriously difficult to break into), then yes, you'll have problems. Try NYC--the market is huge and the demand for associates is high.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 02:19:14 AM »
I went to a mid T1 in a major market.  I transferred as top 5% from a very very low T2.  Out of 22 screenings, I got 2 call-backs and 1 offer (and I'm from the major market area too).  It sucks to be a transfer student because most recruiters/attorneys don't realize that according tot he data, transfer students generally keep almost precisely their same GPA once they get to their higher-ranked school.

Thus, there I was a year later as a 3L and top 5%.  I was selective in who I screened with and got 5 callbacks out of 6 screenings (all but Latham). Got two offers out of that and made a good decision.  Transfers who are a year behind me and now interviewing as 3L's had, and are having, precisely the same sort of experience.  They did not work for large law firms last summer.

My point is, it's tough and it'll be discouraging.  But even if things don't work out this year, it's far from over.