Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Big Law  (Read 2270 times)

worried

• View Profile
Big Law
« on: September 09, 2007, 02:46:10 PM »
Hi All-

I need some advice.  I really want to land a Big Law summer associate position and I am having difficulty.  Recently I transferred to a top-20 school and thought that I would be well positioned to land a job in a secondary market like Minneapolis or Milwaukee, but I have had no luck.  To make matters worse, I just found out yesterday that I did not make it on to any journal.  Am I screwed?  Do you need to be on Law Review or a journal in order to land a Big Law job?

worried

• View Profile
Re: Big Law
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »
anyone?

dans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »
if your top 20 is umn, then you are screwed like most of your classmates. get really good grades and then shoot for a job in Chicago...

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »
I wasnt on a journal and my school is just outside the top 20 and I havent had problems in the job department, not even in a big city. 

You may have a hard time finding a job depending on where you transfered from though.  A student from a T3/4 is of little desire to many firms.  Regardless of where you are attending now (I am assuming it is out of the T14 or you would have said), you are basically still a top student from a t3 or 4.  There is no way for them to judge how you really perform.  All is not lost though, try an even smaller market, then try OCI again your third year.  If nothing comes then, as it is certainly harder, clerk and then go to work at a big firm.

My advice comes from speaking with transfer students at my school who were screwed in OCI.

worried

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 05:33:44 PM »
i am at wash. u. and i did come from a t-3.  does this change anyone else's advice?

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »
I'd say your prospects are pretty crappy.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 07:22:05 PM »
I would say you arent gonna have much luck, but you can always try Vegas.  I am at a similarly ranked school, and I ran into transfers that had to go to vegas their 2L summer.  Supposedly its a decent smaller market. 

wardwilliams

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »

so are your school's football prospects

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 07:41:56 PM »
It's true, Michigan football sucks.  Big time.  We're talking might-not-even-beat-Notre-Dame-caliber sucking.  I'm a University of Texas undergraduate, and fortunately they're faring a little better.  Assuming, of course, that we can beat Oklahoma...

worried

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 11:26:06 PM »
do you care to back up your assertion with some meaningful evidence or do you wish to argue as adequately as your team and mr. carr looked yesterday?