Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thank you! note after callback?  (Read 3858 times)

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
Thank you! note after callback?
« on: September 08, 2007, 08:27:07 PM »
Is it necessary to send thank you notes to each interviewer after a callback?  Would it help my candidacy?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you! note after callback?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 08:33:04 PM »
In my opinion it is necessary.  The CDO suggested it to us as well.  You figure, the attorneys we interview with bill out at a minimum of 330 dollars an hour and that is for entry level associates.  They give up a lot of time for you, so what is ten seconds to write a thank you?  I have been just sending quick emails to the interviewers and trying to make it personal.  I stick to three lines and rarely any more.  Just dont spell anything wrong, lol.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 08:45:06 PM »
It's hard to be personal in 3 lines, no? 
I don't know if the attorney still has any influence over your hiring decision after the interview.  Assuming he's not on the committee, he will probably just fill out some evaluation form and get on with his work. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 09:06:10 PM »
Nah, I am like "I really enjoyed talking about ___" or "thanks for the insight on ___" which is kinda personalized.  I mean, most of them probably delete it right away anyway, but it doesn't hurt to do it.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »
Yeah, it's not that tough to do in 3 sentences:

1) Thanks for talking to me about [firm name]
2) I particularly enjoyed talking about [bs subject]
3) It's a great firm, hope to have the opportunity to work there next summer.

I'd do it for every callback unless it convinced you that you don't want to work there.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:59:18 AM »
Thank you email after callback might be a good idea, I think I will start doing that from now on.  I had 4 or 5 interviews last week, is it a good idea to send them emails now?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 12:09:40 PM »
Thank you email after callback might be a good idea, I think I will start doing that from now on.  I had 4 or 5 interviews last week, is it a good idea to send them emails now?

The best method is the method that gets to them before they make a hiring decision ;).  If you had your call backs last week, I would e-mail them rather than snail mail as they will likely already have made a decision by the time they get them.

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 03:37:06 PM »
Ugh, I just got back to my hotel room after a call back and thought that I was doing so great sending out thank you emails. I just realized that the one I sent to the main hiring partner said thanks Ms. xx and he's definitely a man. Big sigh...

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 06:04:59 PM »
My friend used a wrong name in one of her thank you letters.  However, it was for a screening interview, and she got a callback and the partner mentioned the error to her... I wouldnt stress it, they will probably just laugh.

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 03:25:07 AM »
If you are nervous about your chances, and sending thank you letters makes you feel more secure, by all means do it. Or if you truly feel that it is rude not to.

But, sadly, don't do it because you think it will help your chances, because all it can do is hurt you if you screw it up, and it won't change somebody's mind after the interview.

Good luck to all, and sorry for being all negative on the thank yous, for those of you who truly believe in them.