Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thank you! note after callback?  (Read 3865 times)

GA-fan

Re: Thank you! note after callback?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 08:03:08 AM »
I also doubt that it helps my chances, but send them because most of these firms have spent 1K + or so to have you visit them (if you're coming from out of town). I recognize that's a huge deal, and I don't want to get desensitized to people doing things to go out of their way to help me and me not considering it to be a big deal.

QuakerLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 11:59:30 AM »
Just send a thank you email to the recruiting coordinator, and ask them to pass along your thanks to the attorneys. The only real point is to get a thank you letter in your file, and this accomplishes that without the risk of typos/wrong names/etc.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 12:52:31 PM »
Just send a thank you email to the recruiting coordinator, and ask them to pass along your thanks to the attorneys. The only real point is to get a thank you letter in your file, and this accomplishes that without the risk of typos/wrong names/etc.

Terrible idea.  The recruiting coordinator will think you are lazy and useless.   It takes five minutes to email everyone and say thanks. 

QuakerLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 05:10:37 PM »

Terrible idea.  The recruiting coordinator will think you are lazy and useless.   It takes five minutes to email everyone and say thanks. 

O RLY? I guess the Career office at my top 6 school and several other top schools are wrong then.

Get your head out of your ass. Thanking the attorneys individually has zero upside and tons of downside. Some well written thank you note won't change the fact that you have bad grades from a bad school and interview like a socially awkward fucktard.

mrburnz127

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 07:03:54 PM »
I'm with Quaker on this one.  The whole point is to have a thank you letter in your file.  All thank you letters say practically the same thing--at best, the attorneys just skim them and if some glaring error is there it looks bad.  The thank you letter will only HURT you.  Thus, be as conservative and broad as possible--cause you might in fact say something they don't like.  Any interest in the firm or whatever you want to express should have come out in your interview.  You can't use a thank you letter to save your ass if you've already failed...

Also, I agree with Thor that sending an email to each attorney certainly wont hurt you (assuming there are no errors!!).  I prefer to just send a generic thank you letter in the mail and ask the recruiting coordinator to thank the others for me.  But if I were sending an email to the recruiting coordinator, I'd probably just CC the other attorneys.  They're gonna get it anyway (hopefully), so you might as well send it to them yourself rather than relying on the recruiting coordinator.  Hell, sometimes they might even send you a response which is kinda nice.  You wont get that if the recruiting coordinator sends it for you.

On a side note: does anyone actually take an attorney up on their offer to "answer any questions" you have later on?  I usually just send my thank you and that's the last contact I have with the firm til I get a decision...

QuakerLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 07:35:42 PM »

On a side note: does anyone actually take an attorney up on their offer to "answer any questions" you have later on?  I usually just send my thank you and that's the last contact I have with the firm til I get a decision...

I did once, but I had a legitimate question that I wanted to follow up on. I don't see any point to making up some questions just for the sake of asking questions. Their evaluation is going to be done too soon for it to matter.

mrburnz127

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 08:09:40 PM »
Good point...I tend to keep forgetting that.

GA-fan

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »
I haven't yet taken anyone up on the "if you have any other questions," but I would certainly do so if I really did have a legitimate question. I will use these same interviewers when I'm making decisions between offers and have further questions. Just be sure your question is targeted to the person you're contacting (ie, don't ask a partner a question that an associate could answer).

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 05:47:39 PM »

No, it's better to do it this way than to send individual notes. If you are going to send individual notes, they had better be different from each other, because everything goes into one file and it looks bad if every note is the same or nearly the same. You can do it this way, but just make sure to individualize every note and to bring up something from each separate conversation you had.

The way I did it (for a V100 firm) was to e-mail the recruiting coordinator, thank her for setting up the day and ask her to extend my thanks to the other interviewers (who I named). I then went on to list why I thought the firm would be a great fit for me and vice versa. I e-mailed the letter because I knew that they would be coming to a decision on my candidacy in less than two days. Ultimately, I got an offer and have accepted.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 07:03:31 PM »
Ug, I wish there was a solid right or wrong answer to this question. 

I had my first callback on Friday and need to get my letter(s) in the mail asap but cannot make up my mind.  Sending one letter to the coordinator seems to make the most sense, as writing 6 individual letters seems to be a bit overkill and leaves a lot of room for error.  But at the same time, writing just one letter seems like the lazy way out, and I dont want to portray myself as someone who wouldnt take the time to write out the individual thank yous.  Plus, the individuals I interviewed were extremely informative, and I sort of feel like I "owe" them a thx for putting aside 1/2 - 1 hour for me.

Any other opinions on this? 
2L