Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Secondary Job Market  (Read 689 times)

llavoy

• View Profile
    • Email
Secondary Job Market
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:41:22 AM »
So, here's the dilemma. Go to a decent (Top 50) school, Law Review, top 10%; however, OCI here is completely devoted to job markets that I don't really have any interest in. 90% of the firms here focus on the South, with a smattering of NY/DC/LA firms- not nearly enough to play the numbers game effectively. Most of my background and connections are in the upper midwest. While I can explain to interviewers why I REALLY want to live in Atlanta until I'm blue in the face, I'm going to have to rely on non-OCI methods for firms in my preferred area. Question: seeing as interview season is already well underway, is it too late for this? Any ideas on how to get in the door without access to screening interviews?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary Job Market
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 02:38:31 AM »
My friends are still doing direct writes.  I actually just started direct writes for firms that do not even bother to really touch students from my school, because I figure what can it hurt?  Make it fast though before the spots are full, but I think you are alright.  If you are already too late, what can it hurt anyway?

I would explain on your cover letter that they do not do OCI at your school but you are interested. 

I would also leave law review off your resume cause its a stupid waste of time (okay, I am bitter and clearly joking).  Good luck.