Law School Discussion

NAVY JAG Interview

NAVY JAG Interview
« on: September 06, 2007, 01:08:26 PM »
I have done the search but couldn't find anything that was dead on. I was wondering if anyone has information on the weight given to the appraisel interview and LSAT score during the NAVY JAG application process? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: NAVY JAG Interview
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:38:56 PM »
I figured I would provide a little backgound information as to why I am asking this question.
I am a 2L and had a pretty decent 1st semester and finished in the top 10 percent. I am not that obsessed with ranking, however, I want to go into the JAG Corps.
The 2nd semester is a different story. I had to miss about a month of school due to my wife ending up in ICU and being very sick. I ended up taking a hit on my GPA and am know about 23%.
I had my interview with the Navy JAG about 3 weeks ago. I think it went well. Prior to the interview ending he informed me that he could not tell me what his recommendation was going to be because he had to send it off directly to the board, but he told me that he could say it was going to be a good one.
That made me feel pretty good, however, I go to a 3rd Tier school, My GPA took a hit, and I took the LSAT 4 times.
I do have 8 yrs enlisted, but it seems as if my application would be barely mediocre compared to most considering.
That is why I am wondering how heavy they might weigh the interviews.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:47:46 PM »
I know nothing about the particulars of JAG, but wouldn't the fact that you have 8 years enlisted, presumably Navy, be a HUGE plus? I would think that right there would overcome almost any deficiency in the rest of your package, unless you have some kind of major black marks, which I guess you don't.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »
THanks for the reply, I was beginning to think if anyone was going to..
I don't have any black marks. I do have an NJP on my record, however, I received a very good Discharge and received very good evals since the NJP. But, I guess I am just worried because of the ranking of my school. I have no doubt that I am receiving just as good as of an education as anywhere else, but for some, rankings matter.