Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Strategy for accepting summer position  (Read 1505 times)

superman10

• View Profile
Strategy for accepting summer position
« on: September 05, 2007, 04:51:05 AM »
I'm a 2L and I've gotten offers for a summer associate position at some firms, some of them biglaw, others are mid-size. From my offers, there's one biglaw firm (we'll call it Firm A) that I really liked. What is the strategy in terms of when to accept Firm A's offer? I know that we have until Dec. 1st, but is there any benefit in accepting early?

Or should I just go through the process, see if there is another firm I like more? I would like to get a permanent offer from Firm A after my summer there, and am wondering if accepting their offer now would be something that they like....or will it look like I'm desperate or something to that regard? Do most people just wait until Dec. 1st?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy for accepting summer position
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 06:38:56 AM »
How is accepting a job you want (for which there is a ton of competition) desperate?

The terms of the offer are the same whether you accept today or on the last day.  You're not going to get more money if you hold out.  If you are sure that this is a firm that you like, with people you like, etc., then accept your offer.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:06:42 AM »
If you are nearly positive it's the firm you want, accept on the spot - they'll like that.  Don't overthink.  The firms don't really notice or care  your reasons for accepting/not accepting on the spot are. Just make sure this is the one you want!

superman10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 09:32:09 AM »
What you both said is exactly what my gut tells me. However, in the warped and customized world of law firm employment/process/culture, I was wondering if there was any added benefit at all in accepting right away...

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 10:08:51 AM »
my advice, you have till december to accept, so keep the offers from them all open.  Salaries should be going up this year, and you never know which firms will follow and which wont.  Also, your opinion of the firm may change.  Take some time and make sure, it is a huge step.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:40:37 PM »
My strategy:

Step 1: Get an offer
Step 2: Cancel any callbacks from firms I'd never consider over this offer
    Step 2A: repeat steps 1 and 2 after every offer
Step 3: Narrow down offers w/every NALP deadline
Step 4: If no offer by 12/1, panic

Still on step 0, so this is all hypothetical . . .

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 10:55:05 PM »
dont feel bad, I am waiting at step 0 as well.  worst case, we can team up and start our own firm by 12/1 if there are no offers. 

vivi2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »
I accepted on the spot. I had interviewed with a Vault100 firm that I really liked and knew that I wanted the job, so as soon as they offered it, I accepted it. I also cancelled all of my other callbacks. Honestly, I'm breathing a sigh of relief. I get to sit back and concentrate on (and enjoy) my classes while most of my friends aren't doing their callbacks until October.

If you are unsure, keep your offers open, but if not, I would say to just go for it. If you do accept and you still have other callbacks, cancel them. The firms you reject will appreciate that you aren't wasting their time and resources (and you also won't be wasting your own).

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »
I was offered a job on the spot with Sullivan & Cromwell, I turned it down, also on the spot.  That firm is a disgusting hell-hole, and plus I already had an offer from Wachtell (a better paying hell-hole).  No other firm offered me job on the spot. I personally don't like to accept offer on the spot, at least take a few days to think about it. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09