Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Waiting Game - Callbacks and Rejections?  (Read 7468 times)

SJ228

• View Profile
The Waiting Game - Callbacks and Rejections?
« on: September 04, 2007, 08:43:25 PM »
Ive had about 12 interviews and no callbacks. I am at T2, top 6%, secondary journal - but nothing. I think Im generally pretty nice to talk to, but should I assume that I am doing something wrong. All of my fellow classmates that I have been interviewing with (most on LR) have received callbacks. Would that be the reason? Anyone got any tips to get out of this slump?

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Waiting Game - Callbacks and Rejections?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:57:56 PM »
what T2 are you at?? it  may depend on your school/ region you are interviewing at

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:24:22 PM »
what T2 are you at?? it  may depend on your school/ region you are interviewing at

Southern Cali area. Most of the places that I have interviewed with (v100) are only accepting about 2-3 summers. I guess were in low demand.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »
I am at a top 25 law school and right around the 16% mark, and I have only received 5 callbacks from the 16 places that have made decisions already.  I have a friend on law review, top 15%, and he has only received 2 callbacks out of approximately 20 interviews.  It is completely random.  It is all a matter of your personality and resume.  At your school, since you are at a T2, I would assume that the people are all kinda friendly and less arrogant then other schools, so most people are probably pretty nice to talk to. Also, some of it is made up before the interview even starts.  You will get a job somewhere.  You may just have to look outside the Cali market.  I have heard that Las Vegas is a great place to practice in a smaller market and its still somewhat close.  (a person transfered up here and had to go to Vegas because people wouldnt look at him after he transfered in really) Good luck to you, and I hope something comes through for you.  God bless.

wafflesyumyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:28:48 PM »
i will weigh in here.  28 oci's.  9 rejections, 0 callbacks.

top 10 school.  just a HAIR below the mean gpa.  no journal.  strong public service-oriented resume.  actually, working in the public sector is what i want to do, but thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to work at a firm this summer so as not to foreclose any possibilities for myself.

my friends all have callbacks and it is quite demoralizing.  no flamers (that's what they're called, right?) please; i just want to know if anybody else is in a similar situation.  should i just give up on the idea of working for a big firm over the summer?

osakakid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:22:36 AM »
Minnesota, 3.5, secondary journal--30 interviews--3 callbacks so far (strangely none from Minnesota)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 09:50:13 AM »

top 10 school.  just a HAIR below the mean gpa.  no journal.  strong public service-oriented resume.  actually, working in the public sector is what i want to do, but thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to work at a firm this summer so as not to foreclose any possibilities for myself.

my friends all have callbacks and it is quite demoralizing.  no flamers (that's what they're called, right?) please; i just want to know if anybody else is in a similar situation.  should i just give up on the idea of working for a big firm over the summer?

Ive heard that they sometimes dont like public service oriented resumes.  I know sometimes it can be transparent that you dont want to really work there because of that.  I would suggest looking at a smaller market.  Good luck though... I have friends that have gotten callbacks from firms that other people heard from a week or so ago, so its a possibility you will still hear back.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »
Perhaps your career services has a mock interview type thing?  It seems to me like you have good credentials but something is going wrong on the interviews.  I'm not saying that you're socially retarded or anything but maybe you're coming off too strong or something like that? 

Good luck with the job search.  I'm sure if you keep trying and reflect on how your interviews are going you should be fine. 
testing testing 1 2 3

GA-fan

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 06:26:45 PM »
Find out who is getting all the callbacks at your school. Attach large cinderblock to their ankle and drop in the Hudson.  Proceed to claim their identity, and voila, problem solved. :D

I'd definitely contact career services for a mock interview and to potentially call the firms you've been dinged at- sometimes career services can get a more straightforward answer from recruiting coordinators than a student can, and it might be something simple like being overeager or not asking intelligent questions about the firm. Also, take a good look at the types of firms you're applying to- are they "reach" firms, or ones where you'd be the median candidate?

If you still have any screening interviews left, just try to relax and don't think about your previous history- anything that stresses you out (like not having a good record of receiving callbacks) will make your interview skills worse and might turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 07:58:42 PM »

This is a pure flame.  You would have received some callback even if you applied to only the top 28 firms and did terrible at all of your initial interviews.  The reason, initial interviews simply does not matter very much.  I forgot about my interview with a firm (V15) and still received a callback from them.