Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Waiting Game - Callbacks and Rejections?  (Read 7668 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Waiting Game - Callbacks and Rejections?
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2007, 12:33:21 AM »
Sick in the positive sense.  I am going to practice in DC.  So many of my classmates chose NY, but it just doesn't make sense.  Most firms here, as you know, are 160K a year now, and you work about 20 hours a week less here it seems.  You can't beat that.  Plus, cost of living is significantly lower, so more money and less hours.  Its such a fun city to be in too...

Good luck in the remaining callbacks.

GA-fan

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2007, 08:08:32 AM »
This is exactly my argument for Atlanta over DC  :D You work 50-55 hours a week for 15K less in a lower COL area. But to each his own.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2007, 10:13:01 AM »
people going to TTT schools (everyone posting on this thread, except me) is not going to get jobs.  TTT and jobs are mutually exclusive, in computers science they call this "MuTex". 
People who are feminine hygiene product bags (no one on this thread, except you) are going to suck at life.  Congratulations!

Oh yeah?  I guess people from TTT school like yours always go on to become court of appeals clerks, judges and biglaw partners.  Tell me which TTT do you go to so I can transfer out of Yale. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

beastie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2007, 10:27:55 AM »
i will weigh in here.  28 oci's.  9 rejections, 0 callbacks.

top 10 school.  just a HAIR below the mean gpa.  no journal.  strong public service-oriented resume.  actually, working in the public sector is what i want to do, but thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to work at a firm this summer so as not to foreclose any possibilities for myself.

my friends all have callbacks and it is quite demoralizing.  no flamers (that's what they're called, right?) please; i just want to know if anybody else is in a similar situation.  should i just give up on the idea of working for a big firm over the summer?

This is a pure flame.  You would have received some callback even if you applied to only the top 28 firms and did terrible at all of your initial interviews.  The reason, initial interviews simply does not matter very much.  I forgot about my interview with a firm (V15) and still received a callback from them. 

i'm probably not going to be able to convince you that this isn't flame, but think about it like this:  i only applied to new york and dc firms.  these are the two markets that most people at my school applied to. this means i'm competing with people who are on journals, have better grades than me, have a clue or two about what goes on in a big firm, *and*  go to a top 10 school.

anyway, i really appreciate that most people who replied gave me intelligent and respectful feedback. i know my questions to the firms probably weren't intelligent-- like i say, i have no idea of what people do in a big firm, and i was adamantly opposed to the idea of working for one until this past summer, when i saw first hand how quickly public interest lawyers burn out.  i honestly had a difficult time distinguishing one firm from another.

it's occurred to me that the problem is my interviewing skills. my interviews didn't feel particularly awkward, but my personality is introverted and a little quirky, and it's possible that this came out. 

thanks again everybody.  i might try applying to smaller firms in smaller markets, or i might just give up and do public interest all the way.  who knows.

I've been on the other side of the table for some time now, and it sounds to me as if you are giving out the impression that you are not really interested in firm work.  Having all public service on your resume is not the kiss of death (that was all I had on my resume as well, including a few years of it before ever going to law school), but it helps to have some reason for wanting to go to work for a firm instead of a public service organization.  Otherwise you just seem directionless.  What reason have you been giving?  Also, if you are having a hard time keeping firms straight, I would recommend reading a quick description of the firm you are interviewing with right before the interview and thinking about how you can spin your interests to fit with the firm's practice, style, etc.  Especially if you are an on the fence interviewee, you do not want to come off as directionless and clueless, and a little research will help address that problem.

Also, while there are lots of similarities across firms, it's not the case that they are all the same.  There are in fact cultural and work style differences across them that do matter over time.  The difficulty is in figuring out how much thosee differences will matter to you, and it is often very hard to know as a law student which style is going to work for you. 

P-Dinelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2007, 04:11:55 AM »
people going to TTT schools (everyone posting on this thread, except me) is not going to get jobs.  TTT and jobs are mutually exclusive, in computers science they call this "MuTex". 
People who are feminine hygiene product bags (no one on this thread, except you) are going to suck at life.  Congratulations!

Oh yeah?  I guess people from TTT school like yours always go on to become court of appeals clerks, judges and biglaw partners.  Tell me which TTT do you go to so I can transfer out of Yale. 
Are you too retarded to figure it out from my name?