Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not being able to work during your first year?  (Read 2056 times)

Vixen

• View Profile
    • Email
Not being able to work during your first year?
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »
Hello everybody, I was wondering, how all you law students pay your bills if you can't work during your first year. I realize law school studies take a lot of time and you cn work really hard a save money, but seriously, how do you guys stay above water???

Ad oculos

• View Profile
Re: Not being able to work during your first year?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:43:37 PM »
Student loans.

$20.5k in Fed loans + whatever private loans you need.  Take a look at your finances and figure out how much money you've spent over the past year.  Take out loans to make sure you can cover it.

Then land a firm job 1L/2L summer, where you pull in $30k+.  That sure helps with paying the bills.

tartan_terp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 11:01:53 AM »
Agreed.  Focus your first year on getting solid grades and you'll hopefully get a 2L summer associate job that easily pays off your first year debt.  After 1L, you can get a clerk position during the school year (assuming you aren't time-committed with Law Review/Journal, etc).

However, if you are really in a cash-crunch, most schools allow a "financial need" exception but restrict you to 6-10hrs/week in your 1L.  Those are granted only by exception.

Good luck!

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 01:31:49 AM »
I worried a lot about this, too, because I worked my way through UG and have worked for the past few years. But the loans come in and you have a few grand to use on personal costs during the semester-- just budget accordingly. It is tight, but you can do it. Spend carefully, clip coupons and stick to a social budget so you don't blow your grocery money at happy hour.

I have an ING account --> I put my loan money for living expenses in here. Once a month, I deduct a "paycheck" into my checking so I can pay bills, buy food, etc.

Start saving some money now and see if any family members can help you out. Also, look at outside scholarships if you are a minority, from a particular city, etc. Also, most Greek organizations have graduate level scholarships --> I got one from my sorority. If you were involved with any national honors organizations like Golden Key, you may be able to get a scholarship from them, too.
Vanderbilt 2010

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 10:32:21 AM »
Yep, debt.