Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Declining Callback interviews  (Read 1913 times)

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Declining Callback interviews
« on: September 02, 2007, 05:10:54 AM »
Ok so I was invited for a few callback interviews about 2-3 weeks ago.  I accepted the invitation (before i received my first offer) and I also scheduled travel arrangements. 
A few days after I accepted these invitations I received my first offer and though I have not yet accepted it, I would likely take the offer over any of these other firms. 

Obviously to save time and money I should call them back and decline the callback interviews but I was wondering if I would be responsible for paying the firms back for the airplane tickets.  I'm reading the itinerary and there is a $100 cancellation fee and I was wondering if the firm would have  me pay it off.  If i'm gonna have to pay it off i'll just go to the callback but otherwise i'd really like to clear out my calendar. 

I would appreciate advice from upperclassmen who actually had experience with this.  THanks in advance!
testing testing 1 2 3

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Declining Callback interviews
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 09:36:32 AM »
congrats on the offer :) so jealous as I have yet to receive that phone call.  I have no advice, but I basically wanted to tag this topic.

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 10:22:07 AM »
It is perfectly acceptable to cancel a callback if you receive/accept another offer, and you should not be responsible for the cancellation fee.  Just call or write the firm thanking them for the opportunity, and explain that you have decided to accept another offer.

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 11:10:44 AM »
I would just go.  Who knows, maybe they'll wow you.  Of course, none of the callbacks where I expected to be not-wowed have done so, but maybe they will for you.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 04:55:11 PM »
I'd bet this is one of the rare situations, where you should ask the career services office at your school.  I'm sure there are some NALP guidelines on this.  It must come up pretty often, so the career services people should know how yo handle it.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 05:10:02 PM »
I'd bet this is one of the rare situations, where you should ask the career services office at your school.  I'm sure there are some NALP guidelines on this.  It must come up pretty often, so the career services people should know how yo handle it.

I asked the career services ppl and they said they didn't know... unsurprisingly...
testing testing 1 2 3

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 05:39:16 PM »
It is perfectly acceptable to cancel a callback if you receive/accept another offer, and you should not be responsible for the cancellation fee.  Just call or write the firm thanking them for the opportunity, and explain that you have decided to accept another offer.

Are you a fresh 1L giving advice about OCI?  This forum never ceases to amaze me lol.

Is Class of 2009 that hard to comprehend?  I would think that as a 2L you would know your graduation date.

Ad oculos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 01:44:52 PM »
Just call up the firm and cancel the callback.  They may be out a bit on your flight/lodging (though I doubt it), but the primary expense is the interviewer time.  If you're not interested, they'd rather you just canceled.  Call up the recruiting coordinator (or person who scheduled your callback) and cancel with him/her.