Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Had Callback...Where's the Offer?  (Read 5410 times)

Anonymous2L

• View Profile
Had Callback...Where's the Offer?
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »
Had a few callback interviews in NYC almost 2 weeks ago. Absolute silence: no emails, calls, or snail mail. I thought I was supposed to hear within one or two weeks, but this is just getting weird. Does this mean that my rejection letter is in the mail? Are they waiting to interview all the other kids from my school with callbacks? Or is it just too early for firms to hand out offers? Not liking the wait...

p.s. Top 25 school, okay GPA (not great), no law review (on a journal), and supposedly my interviewing skillz are good.

GA-fan

Re: Had Callback...Where's the Offer?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
I'd suggest you follow up with the recruiter or an alumni of your school who is on the hiring committee. I'd give it a full 2 weeks, but after that, I think it's acceptable to call and ask what's going on and when you can expect a decision. Bonus points if you can honestly say that you're deciding on another offer and would like to consider theirs as well  ;)

Anonymous2L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 03:50:36 PM »
Thanks Raven. Also - can I just run a poll? For people who have been extended offers (preferably for NYC firms) - how long did it take for you to hear between the callback and the offer call?

MrSheep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 04:08:06 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you. Similar stats. I can't decide whether to send the follow up email to the recruiter or an attorney that interviewed me.

east

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 12:48:53 AM »
From my own experience, NYC biglaw offers usually are extended via phone call within a week.  Most of my offers from v20-v80 firms were given to me within 2-3 days.

Hope this helps.  Sometimes if you are a fringe candidate, a firm will keep you in the pool for longer in case they don't meet their hiring targets.   

What kinds of places are you guys applying to?  I think midsize and smaller places usually take longer but I can't say since most of my experience last year was with bigger places.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 04:54:19 AM »
Had a few callback interviews in NYC almost 2 weeks ago. Absolute silence: no emails, calls, or snail mail. I thought I was supposed to hear within one or two weeks, but this is just getting weird. Does this mean that my rejection letter is in the mail? Are they waiting to interview all the other kids from my school with callbacks? Or is it just too early for firms to hand out offers? Not liking the wait...

p.s. Top 25 school, okay GPA (not great), no law review (on a journal), and supposedly my interviewing skillz are good.

SOrry buddy i think we're screwed :(  i'm also waiting to hear back from 2 callbacks and monday would make it a full 2 weeks.  all my offers came within 4 business days so i'm not sure what this 2 week deal is.  I spoke to a few upperclassmen and they said certain firms meet bi-weekly or their recruiting ppl may be out on vacation but i hear 2 weeks = death. 

don't worry with your stats and interviewing skills you should be able to get an offer somewhere.  good luck chief
testing testing 1 2 3

GA-fan

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »
For what it's worth, I just had two firms offer me callback interviews, more than two weeks after the screening interview. It can happen. Don't lose all hope yet :)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 10:27:37 PM »
hey, I was told at my last few callbacks that it was typically a week to two weeks, but it may be longer because of labor day and waiting on getting responses from attorneys as a result.  Good luck though. And this was in DC and completely irrelevant, but I figured maybe DC people would wanna know too.

Anonymous2L

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 10:50:50 PM »
Hey Guys - So I just heard from the first of the three firms - all are NY BigLaw btw, I dont know if I mentioned that - and I got an offer! The hiring partner called at around 5pm - and this is exactly 2 weeks since the date of my call back. Hopefully this bodes well for the other two...I thought getting in the process early would help results come more quickly but apparently things don't start to speed up til later in September. Thanks to those who posted what they know, it helps...

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 01:12:26 AM »
Hey Guys - So I just heard from the first of the three firms - all are NY BigLaw btw, I dont know if I mentioned that - and I got an offer! The hiring partner called at around 5pm - and this is exactly 2 weeks since the date of my call back. Hopefully this bodes well for the other two...I thought getting in the process early would help results come more quickly but apparently things don't start to speed up til later in September. Thanks to those who posted what they know, it helps...

Congrats dude!!

Just make sure you remember to express your interest in the firm within 30 days... the nalp info will come to you in the mail with your official offer.
testing testing 1 2 3