Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just me?  (Read 2410 times)

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just me?
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 12:32:13 PM »
I actually kind of feel the same way ... that's it's manageable SO FAR, but that all this information in these 4 classes is going to cumulate to insanity (I guess that's what the outlines are for!)

Also, we've barely done anything in Lawyering (research and writing), but we're about to start our first memo, so ... that's going to increase in intensity rapidly!

I think this is just the calm before the storm. :-P

Exactly. Manageable now, but i know its going to get harder as the semester goes on. I just hope ill be ok

Lascar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »
Villanova,

I am a 2L, and I agree with you that 1L year is manageable.  Others on the board are right - the work load will ramp up as the semester goes on, but as long as you concentrate on staying a couple of days ahead from now until then, I am sure you will weather the storm.  If you (or others here) are concerned about the work load increasing significantly, just take a peak at your syllabi for later in the semester.  Do assignment lengths increase greatly?  If not, then don't worry about it. 

There have been comments made on these boards in the past that many in law school love playing the "stressed out law student."  I agree.  And though people will complain they were in the library for 9 hours the day before, most of these will have been wasting their time on facebook or instant messenger.  The key instead is to treat classes and assignments professionally, simply getting them done as soon as you can, and keeping an eye on your assignments a few days ahead so a big one (like a Legal Writing paper) does not come up as a big surprise last minute. 

I found that if I worked just two days ahead (and stayed two days ahead) I could keep my weekends free, a fact that contributed to my mental health.  Granted, as the semester went on, I began to increasingly use these weekend days to outline, but that is nothing to worry about this early in the semester.  Just keep plugging along.  It sounds like you are doing fine.   

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »
I'm finding it manageable as well. it's a lot of work but 1L so far has not been a "nightmare" i think that whole scene attracts a certain personality type anyway. i do notice a big difference between the straight out of college set and the worked some first set. the former is very cliquey and at least so far seem overly concerned with socializing. that could be because its still early in the semester but old habits die hard. i'm not anti-social. i went to a couple of the "get to know everyone" events during orientation i.e. before classes, but not since. if i come out of this place with friends great, but i didn't come to law school to party and drink every night. every weekend is working fine for me  :) i also think people who worked have better time management skills and seem to have grasped the bigger picture a little quicker and little better. a lot of the younger kids are still in the "what's the right answer" mode. i'm sure most will catch on eventually but it just seems to be an advantage to get that part of law school early on.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Villanova1L

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 01:33:30 PM »
Villanova,

I am a 2L, and I agree with you that 1L year is manageable.  Others on the board are right - the work load will ramp up as the semester goes on, but as long as you concentrate on staying a couple of days ahead from now until then, I am sure you will weather the storm.  If you (or others here) are concerned about the work load increasing significantly, just take a peak at your syllabi for later in the semester.  Do assignment lengths increase greatly?  If not, then don't worry about it. 

There have been comments made on these boards in the past that many in law school love playing the "stressed out law student."  I agree.  And though people will complain they were in the library for 9 hours the day before, most of these will have been wasting their time on facebook or instant messenger.  The key instead is to treat classes and assignments professionally, simply getting them done as soon as you can, and keeping an eye on your assignments a few days ahead so a big one (like a Legal Writing paper) does not come up as a big surprise last minute. 

I found that if I worked just two days ahead (and stayed two days ahead) I could keep my weekends free, a fact that contributed to my mental health.  Granted, as the semester went on, I began to increasingly use these weekend days to outline, but that is nothing to worry about this early in the semester.  Just keep plugging along.  It sounds like you are doing fine.   

The outlining is something I'm completely unfamiliar with, but I'm assuming starting now wouldn't have much benefit. We are still working on very basic ideas and they haven't related to other material yet, so I plan on holding off on outlining. I worked full time through undergrad, so having a full day just to study is a welcomed change. I'm not planning on being able to go out a ton, but enough to stay sane. Hearing that it is manageable from a 2L at the same school is very comforting.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 02:21:45 PM »
Villanova,

I am a 2L, and I agree with you that 1L year is manageable.  Others on the board are right - the work load will ramp up as the semester goes on, but as long as you concentrate on staying a couple of days ahead from now until then, I am sure you will weather the storm.  If you (or others here) are concerned about the work load increasing significantly, just take a peak at your syllabi for later in the semester.  Do assignment lengths increase greatly?   If not, then don't worry about it. 

Thats what i did this past weekend. Contracts syllabus is rather short. He is always behind us or where we are being as though he tells us to read 15 pages every night and brief the cases as he will randomly collect. So i know im super ahead of him, and if i continue with my 15 pages per evening, ill stay ahead