Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reasonable Job Opportunities w/My Stats  (Read 1644 times)

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
Reasonable Job Opportunities w/My Stats
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:59:25 PM »
Hey guys, I'm a 2L at a middle Tier 1 school in a large city.  I am in the Top 20% of my class, wrote on to one of my school's "niche" journals, am on the moot court team, and am the SBA vice president.  I kinda feel as if I'm jack of all trades but master of none.  I want to go into civil rights/constitutional litigation, ultimately would like to be an appellate lawyer.  What size/ranking of firm should I realistically be looking at?  I've had OCI interviews with a handful of large firms, one ding letter on callbacks and some no-responses.

Where should I look?
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

vaplaugh

Re: Reasonable Job Opportunities w/My Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »
You only said firms, but you'd get more hands-on experience at DOJ Civil Rights Division, which participates in Honor Program hiring.  You have a shot at the interview.  Application deadline is September 17.  Maybe not an option depending on debt...

http://www.usdoj.gov/oarm/arm/hp/hpparticipatingcomp.htm

Ad oculos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 08:17:59 PM »
You're fighting an uphill battle to do civil rights/constitutional lit at the appellate level.  Those are pretty coveted spots and usually go to those who clerk on the appellate level.  You might look at smaller boutiques that focus on that area:  there are a handful of public interest organizations that do civil rights cases, and you might be able to get our foot in the door that way.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 05:12:22 AM »
Hey guys, I'm a 2L at a middle Tier 1 school in a large city.  I am in the Top 20% of my class, wrote on to one of my school's "niche" journals, am on the moot court team, and am the SBA vice president.  I kinda feel as if I'm jack of all trades but master of none.  I want to go into civil rights/constitutional litigation, ultimately would like to be an appellate lawyer.  What size/ranking of firm should I realistically be looking at?  I've had OCI interviews with a handful of large firms, one ding letter on callbacks and some no-responses.

Where should I look?

As long as you have decent interviewing skills i'd feel confident of your chances of landing a large firm job.  Your best bet would be to speak to 3Ls at your school to get a feel for what your reasonable job opportunities are... they'll sure as hell be able to answer that much better than the ppl on this board...
testing testing 1 2 3