Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scheduling Callback  (Read 2916 times)

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Scheduling Callback
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:37:55 PM »
So is it alright to schedule a callback for the last week of september?  I'm trying to spread them out to one per week because of work and other things, but I don't want to jeapardize chances either.

What do you guys think?  Is the 24th alright?

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scheduling Callback
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:42:34 PM »
from my understanding it's a better idea to schedule them early.  they will have more spots available so you will have a slightly better chance at getting an offer. 

also, if you get an offer from a really good firm early in the game, you can bring that up in subsequent interviews which will help a lot (so long as you don't rub it in or sound like an idiot about it).  Plus you can get an early offer and your job search becomes that much easier!

Good luck with your interviews
testing testing 1 2 3

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:31:54 PM »
Well, at this point I have one call back scheduled and then another a week later so that is what I was hoping for.

I've heard callbacks generally run through October, so towards the end of september shouldn't be a problem, should it?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:23:10 PM »
they start making decisions soon though, so regardless, I would just suck it up and do it now.  You go to law school to get a job when you graduate, so both school and your employment now should come second.  One of my friends just got his first offer, and I will be getting a decision on a few of my callbacks by sept 15th. I would move as fast as you can and just load them on anywhere you can.

mtfbwy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:16:20 PM »
Allow me to second every word written by thorc954...

There is nothing at school or in your classes or at your job that is more important than your call-backs. Unless the fate of the free world (or, at the very least, a single human life) will suffer because you placed your call-backs above all else, do not delay, quit jerking around, and see if you can reschedule for earlier dates. 

NB: In addition to the fact that most firms fill their summer classes on a rolling basis (and most of those late fall call-backs are for top candidates), ponder this: By and large, at the start of the summer program, most of the people you'll meet at the firm will be enthusiastic and happy that you are there. By the end, they'll still be nice enough but will be quite ready for the summers to be on their merry way back to school.  During the fall interview season, most lawyers will start out being pleasant enough, but by October (unless you're from Harvard and did your 1L summer at a peer firm), how happy do you think they will be to waste 20-30 minutes talking to you? 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 11:06:17 AM »
I wouldnt reschedule the callbacks, but I would still try to make any more that you receive as soon as possible.  Obviously, if you need to support a family, you really can't risk getting fired.  However, there are usually morning and afternoon interview slots, so you could always miss class to go instead of work, depending on your schedule.  The CDO at my school drills in to us that we need to schedule as early as possible.  Others may have gotten a job after interviewing later in the semester, but it is definitely beneficial to interview before the firms have filled most of their slots.  Take it for what its worth.  And, Im not 24, I am not sure about mtfbwy, but I am 23.

OCI is the reason you are in law school. 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 01:09:09 PM »
OCI may be the reason YOU are in law school but I already have a career lol.

Anyway, yeah I understand the importance of scheduling early, but basically I was just saying that I already have other callbacks set up earlier and our CDO said the 24th is fine from their experience and not to worry about it.

I agree, earlier would probably be nicer, however, I don't think rescheduling is a smart option at this point either.

mtfbwy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »
2LMan, where are your call-backs, at the top of a mountain in New Zealand?  Why must you "take a week off" to go to a call-back? Assuming you have to travel, you fly in the night before and fly back after the call-back. As for the "career" you already have, why are you bothering with law school?  Given your use of "lol," it seems strange for you to lord your maturity over that of 24 year olds.

Most of your classmates would give anything for just one call-back.  You have at least two, which you seem to be less than enthusiastic about fitting in amid school, watching the kids, and discharging your duties at what must be a job of Jack Bauer importance.  

I am over 30 but under 40. I missed my nephew's (whose mother is single and broke) first birthday party (which my wife and I were supposed to host) last year to travel for a call-back in mid-September.  I had originally scheduled that call-back for the third week of September, but one person (a partner at a peer firm whose opinion on the hiring process, suffice it to say, is at least as valuable as those from CDO offices and, gasp, from 3L's) stressed to me the urgency of interviewing as soon as possible.  I called to reschedule (the recruiting folks at firms do not mind doing so, and your interviewers aren't scheduled until days before the call-back, if not the day of), and the earliest date available entailed leaving my part-time job early to travel, missing his party, and missing four classes on the day of the call-back.  

My nephew's uncle made more in 14 weeks this summer than in any entire year of his life, and will be returning to that V20 firm next year after graduation.  Hopefully everyone, my nephew included, will forgive that absence from a first birthday party. Perhaps the college fund that his uncle opened in his name this summer will help.  

I'm sorry you took such umbrage at my use of "quit jerking around."  Evidently folks in your current "career" use more delicate language.  For the sake of magnanimity and the general civility of this board, I wish you the best of luck on your call-backs, whenever they take place. 

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 02:01:09 PM »
while i agree you should schedule them as soon as possible, sometimes I have found it hard to schedule any before the last week of sept. this is due to the fact i have OCI interviews almost every day and all my callbacks except for 2 are in another state (The state I wish to practice in).  I have my first few scheduled for the first week of sept, but they go all the way to sept. 24.  in fact, 2 firms i JUST had interviews with said that they were booked till the third week of sept already!! and this was not my fault just do the fact we JUST did OCI at my school. in fact OCI is still going on and I have one screening interview sept. 25

therefore, i dont think the last week of sept is THAT late.  although i agree with scheduling them as soon as you can!

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 08:46:57 PM »
MTF you obviously have a big chip on your shoulder.  I spoke with my CDO and many others and the end of September is NOT a big deal.

My reasoning for scheduling it was due to various things, including having interviews and what not prior to the week that I scheduled it for.

What is with the attitude?  I simply wanted opinions. I agree, if I could make it sooner, I would, however, our career development folks said it is fine where it is and trying to reschedule would just seem awkward so to let it be.

Good luck in your job search.