Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfering as a 2l  (Read 1367 times)

Actionsam

• View Profile
Transfering as a 2l
« on: August 26, 2007, 03:10:41 PM »
Hey everyone, I am a 2L in a tier 2 school, and was wondering if it is possible to transfer at the end of this year, even if it requires repeating 2L.  I am really unhappy at my school, and though it is a tier 2, I do not see very enticing job prospects upon graduation.  I am, and have always been a terrible student (not expecting sympathy from anyone), so being in the tier 2 was my only option, even though I believed I should have been higher.  If there have already been threads on this please redirect me, or just gimme what you know.   :)

tenth8sphere

Re: Transfering as a 2l
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:18:37 PM »
Hey everyone, I am a 2L in a tier 2 school, and was wondering if it is possible to transfer at the end of this year, even if it requires repeating 2L.  I am really unhappy at my school, and though it is a tier 2, I do not see very enticing job prospects upon graduation.  I am, and have always been a terrible student (not expecting sympathy from anyone), so being in the tier 2 was my only option, even though I believed I should have been higher.  If there have already been threads on this please redirect me, or just gimme what you know.   :)

Well, first off, transferring up is a competitive process. So if you 'am and always have been' a terrible student, you probably don't have the grades necessary to transfer. The more pressing problem is that as far as I know, most schools only allow you to transfer after your 1L is completed. I highly doubt many schools, especially top schools, would vary that policy to allow someone to transfer in and repeat a year. I would be shocked if anyone in the tier 1 allowed that kind of arrangement.

A lateral transfer to another tier 2 might not be hard to do, but once again, probably only an option after your first year. You need to call the schools you're interested in and ask about the transfer policy. My guess is that 99 percent of schools won't accept a transfer after the 2L.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 06:29:27 PM »

Well, first off, transferring up is a competitive process. So if you 'am and always have been' a terrible student, you probably don't have the grades necessary to transfer. The more pressing problem is that as far as I know, most schools only allow you to transfer after your 1L is completed. I highly doubt many schools, especially top schools, would vary that policy to allow someone to transfer in and repeat a year. I would be shocked if anyone in the tier 1 allowed that kind of arrangement.

A lateral transfer to another tier 2 might not be hard to do, but once again, probably only an option after your first year. You need to call the schools you're interested in and ask about the transfer policy. My guess is that 99 percent of schools won't accept a transfer after the 2L.

There was someone on here a while ago, UChi2L I think, who transferred into University of Chicago after finishing 2L and had to repeat 2L there. I think the transition into a new school is hard regardless of when you transfer in, and you're not necessarily going to love coming into a situation where all your classmates have already established themselves. There's really no guarantee that transferring would make you any happier unless it's something like the location or the school administration that's making you hate it.

Do you really want to add on another year of tuition to your debt load? Unless you have someone paying for your education, I can't imagine wanting to take on that extra year of debt.

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 07:03:52 AM »
If your grades are good this year you could inquire if a school would let you transfer after 2L, per the same scenario as UCHi2L referenced above. Even if your grades are not good, you still might be able to visit at a top 50 ranked school if you have decent grades. I don't think visiting would improve your job prospects per se, but it might make networking easier if you want to work outside the region of your current school.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:43:43 AM »
Feel free to send me a message
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.