Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is this normal?  (Read 1640 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
is this normal?
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:54:21 PM »
OK, I know last week was only the first week of law school and the workload will probably pick up.

I don't know if I just over-hyped it or if I'm doing something wrong, but I don't really feel like it's as unmanageable as everyone says.

I'm keeping up with the reading, briefing the cases, and even typing up notes from the casebooks, as well as looking to primers and study aids to make sure I understand certain concepts. And I kinda still feel like there should be something else I'm doing.

What does everyone else's studying consist of on a day-to-day basis?

tenth8sphere

Re: is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:10:25 PM »
OK, I know last week was only the first week of law school and the workload will probably pick up.

I don't know if I just over-hyped it or if I'm doing something wrong, but I don't really feel like it's as unmanageable as everyone says.

I'm keeping up with the reading, briefing the cases, and even typing up notes from the casebooks, as well as looking to primers and study aids to make sure I understand certain concepts. And I kinda still feel like there should be something else I'm doing.

If you're bored go get copies of old exams from your classes. Most libraries keep them. If yours doesn't then you can find similar exams online with a little google searching, several schools keep such exams online for anyone to view. Your entire grade (usually) will based entirely on the final exam. So it never hurts to look at them early. Frankly, the concepts in the classes aren't rocket science.With sample exams (and answers) and a decent outline, I'd say anyone could work their way up to B quality answers in under a week.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 10:35:24 PM »

Hey, I am a 2L near the top of my class at a decent school.  I am just saying that so you know that there is some merit to what I say.  The first few weeks of school are fairly easy.  Do not study anything extra at this point.  My mentor my first year gave me the best advice ever.  He said to just go out and drink and have as much fun as possible.  A key part to law school and law as a career is the networking.  Law school will get more intense and less manageable as the time goes on.  Pretty soon, Legal Research and Writing will consume a good part of your free time.  In addition, after Halloween, even more of your free time will go towards outlining.  Therefore, you have some free time right now, so enjoy it.  LRW and outlining and competitions and the job search will eventual consume it all.  Do not waste any time studying extra stuff. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »
I agree - relax now while you can.  Legal writing hasn't picked up to full steam yet, and you probably shouldn't be outlining at this point (since you probably don't have a good enough grasp on things only a week in to really understand what is important yet).  I would discourage you from reading through old exam problems this early in the year - all it will do is overwhelm you since you really don't know anything about anything yet.

Relax, stay on top of everything, and get to know your classmates.  Have a little fun, and stave off burnout for as long as possible.

And, finally, law school IS manageable.  Stressful to be sure, but some people have little concept of how to manage the kind of stress you encounter, and more than a few students (esp. some coming straight from undergrad) have never experienced any kind of workload like this before.  If you stay on top of everything, and can find the "zen" of law school (my mantra is that while there is a TON to do, if you just keep at it and stay focused it will all get done!), you'll find it's not as terrible as a lot of people say it is.

Steve Young

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 06:30:13 PM »

This is how I feel to a tee.  I think it will pick up when we have to start outlining.  It doesnt take that long to get ready for class.  But I suppose as the year goes on it will get tougher and tougher because we will have to retain constantly what were learning now...so i guess the reviewing is what starts to make it hard.

but i right now...maybe 2-4 hours a day...sometimes less,

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 09:19:51 PM »
Hmm, well I'm definitely doing more than 2 to 4 hours a day (sometimes 8 or so), but I just don't feel like it's that bad. I don't know.

What do profs normally say before the exam -- do they give you ANY idea on what to review or what would be best to remember? Or is it just like, "OK, see you at the exam!"

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 09:27:33 PM »
they say "review everything we did this semester, you are responsible for all of it."  That is pretty much the drift of it.  The best way to review and guess what they want is to look at their old exams.  That is what I would do to try and prepare.  Just dont get to cocky that you know what they will ask either.  I prepared for something for my civ pro exam.  I rushed through the entire first section thinking the second section would be like all the exams, and I would need extra time.  However, it wasnt and I finished 45 minutes early and my grade reflected that.  That one mistake made me drop out of the top of the class and miss out on an interview with Skadden barely.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
Yeah, one of my profs said we're responsible for rules and cases brought up in the notes of the casebooks, as well as in the cases themselves. Blah. So I'm wondering if it will be like that in the other classes.

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 10:01:43 AM »
I am so glad I saw this post... I have to definately agree with 1Lchica. I too am in the same boat and was worrying I was doing it wrong because although I do about 7 or so hours a night (and this past weekend only did 8 hours for the two days total and that was it) but it does not seem too difficult. I do worry from time to time that I got the holding incorrect and the ruling correct or vice-versa, but other than that it seems too simple so far (after one week) and not at all as bad as I was expecting (so far anyways)