Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DC prospects?  (Read 1762 times)

mtfbwy

• View Profile
Re: DC prospects?
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »
O.K., let me just say that I like coming here because it is more civilized, or "nicer" if you will, than autoadmit.  But, I cannot help but take issue with yet another assertion that CU students need not be at the very top of their class to land a spot at a top DC firm.  Please don't take this as the sort of cruel rant one might encounter over at autoadmit.

What you call the "bigger names" are NOT going to give a job to a CU student in the top 15% of his or her class.  And the firms you name off the top of your head are not much more likely to do so either.  Bear in mind that, this (huge) past year notwithstanding, most firms will be cutting back somewhat on their summer classes for 2008.

To visit a campus and/or participate in some resume drops in one thing.  That's part of the program.  Do you think those firms would actually tell CU "hey, we're only going to give a call-back to the top few students and, even then, we'll only hire the top student"?  To actually extend an offer for a 2L summer associate position is quite another thing. 

For those who care to investigate further, all you need to do is visit those firms' websites and look at the attorney profiles.  If you see any associates who graduated from CU in, say, 2006 or 2005 (or, wait a couple of weeks and most of the 2007 class should be there), then you'll get an idea of your chances (you could then go one step further and inquire with CU as to their ranks, or, more directly, simply contact that alum).

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 08:41:05 PM »
CU places pretty well in the government in DC, especially the GAO.

CUA3L

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 12:37:02 PM »
O.K., let me just say that I like coming here because it is more civilized, or "nicer" if you will, than autoadmit.  But, I cannot help but take issue with yet another assertion that CU students need not be at the very top of their class to land a spot at a top DC firm.  Please don't take this as the sort of cruel rant one might encounter over at autoadmit.

What you call the "bigger names" are NOT going to give a job to a CU student in the top 15% of his or her class.  And the firms you name off the top of your head are not much more likely to do so either.  Bear in mind that, this (huge) past year notwithstanding, most firms will be cutting back somewhat on their summer classes for 2008.

To visit a campus and/or participate in some resume drops in one thing.  That's part of the program.  Do you think those firms would actually tell CU "hey, we're only going to give a call-back to the top few students and, even then, we'll only hire the top student"?  To actually extend an offer for a 2L summer associate position is quite another thing. 

For those who care to investigate further, all you need to do is visit those firms' websites and look at the attorney profiles.  If you see any associates who graduated from CU in, say, 2006 or 2005 (or, wait a couple of weeks and most of the 2007 class should be there), then you'll get an idea of your chances (you could then go one step further and inquire with CU as to their ranks, or, more directly, simply contact that alum).

To be fair, I didn't do any research into the firms' hiring of CUA students in 2005-007.  The only thing I have to go on is that I and about a dozen of my friends at CUA summered at top law firms this past summer.  Granted, I don't know everyone's grades but I was barely top 10%.