Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI screening interviews  (Read 7050 times)

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OCI screening interviews
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 04:55:20 AM »
I wonder if I am the only one who got notification of a callback via snail mail? I was really surprised because when I saw than thin little letter in the mail, I expected a rejection. FWIW, it came 1 week after my screening interview and after they had done OCIs at other local schools.

now i feel like an a-hole for throwing out all my letters without opening them...
testing testing 1 2 3

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »
One firm (Schiff Hardin) told me they send call back invitations by letter.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »
just got a callback via snail mail

it was funny the envelope was super thin- just one sheet of paper and i was positive it was a rejection

moral is

open all ur mail from firms!!

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 10:32:47 PM »
I actually got an "email-back" this evening--a reply from a post-OCI-interview thank-you email.

But, despite the hope this thread has given me, all of my thin letters have been dings.

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 11:39:36 PM »
I actually got an "email-back" this evening--a reply from a post-OCI-interview thank-you email.

But, despite the hope this thread has given me, all of my thin letters have been dings.

Question, Are most of you doing thank you letters? And if so, snail mail or email?

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 11:44:23 PM »

Question, Are most of you doing thank you letters? And if so, snail mail or email?

Write (handwritten, if possible) thank you letters for everybody that you meet in your callback as soon as possible, but don't bother thanking anybody after a screening interview. Send email thank yous if you want, but I think snail mail makes the best impression if you think they'll get it before things go to the hiring committee.

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 11:52:16 PM »

Write (handwritten, if possible) thank you letters for everybody that you meet in your callback as soon as possible, but don't bother thanking anybody after a screening interview. Send email thank yous if you want, but I think snail mail makes the best impression if you think they'll get it before things go to the hiring committee.

Im glad I asked. We were told typed letters and to definitely send them after screening interviews.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »

Im glad I asked. We were told typed letters and to definitely send them after screening interviews.

Yeah, what I'm saying is just a generalization of what I've been told up to this point, but it all of course comes down to the firm. The smaller the firm, the better of a chance you should send a thank you after a screening. Also, if you have crappy handwriting, don't handwrite anything, stick with typed.

Handwritten just seems more personal and appropriate if it is a job that you really want, and feel like less professional distance will come off as positive. Again, many maintain that you stay uber-professional at all times, and it just comes down to the firm. Hope this helps.

GA-fan

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2007, 08:14:59 AM »
I didn't do thank yous from OCIs-and still got a ton of callbacks. I do, however, write hand-written thank yous after callbacks.

I can't remember if I mentioned this in another thread, but I flat-out asked an interviewer yesterday what their screening to callback ratio was- he said 3-4 out of every 20 screens. I've seen this number repeated elsewhere, as well. Keep in mind that you're competing with teh top 20 percent of your class and trying to be in the top 20% of those to get a callback- tough odds. Hang in there and keep trying... Based on the numbers, I'd say you should try to interview with 15-20 firms if you'd like a solid shot of at least 1-2 callbacks.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2007, 08:49:56 AM »
I'm doing mostly large big-city firms, and it might be a bit different for smaller firms in smaller cities, but I do solely email thank yous to the OCI interviewers that I really liked, then email thank-yous to everyone I meet with in a callback.  I just don't have time to handwrite and mail things soon enough to make sure it gets to the firm before hiring decisions are made.  I'll let you guys know how it works out . . .