Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP BREAK THE BAR REVIEW MONOPOLY  (Read 6446 times)

operationopera

• View Profile
    • Email
HELP BREAK THE BAR REVIEW MONOPOLY
« on: August 25, 2007, 01:01:53 AM »
I am looking for co-plaintiffs from across the United States to join me in an effort to end Westlaw Publishing's monopoly of the bar review market. In stark contrast to the myriad LSAT review courses which are offered in virtually every U.S. city (i.e. Kaplan, Princeton Review, Testmasters and others) there is only one bar review company widely available for this exam of immeasurable importance. Consequently, 3L law students who are nearing the end of the grueling and expensive law school process find themselves paying exorbitant rates to BAR/BRI, currently the only viable bar review company, in order that they may obtain the necessary knowledge and skills to finally earn the right to practice law. Inasmuch as it would be wrong for prospective law school students to be forced to take one of the aforementioned LSAT prep courses due to the lack of an alternative, the same principle should apply to the bar review. A complaint has been filed against Westlaw (owner of the BAR/BRI bar review courses) and I would invite serious first year law students to take a principled stance against this monopoly by joining me in this lawsuit. For more information follow this link to a Law.com article about the lawsuit. http://www.law.com/jsp/LawArticlePC.jsp?id=1186736524498

Also, if you have access to the Los Angeles Daily Journal, the complaint was featured on the cover of the August 10th edition.
For a copy of the complaint, email me at smrt4ucr2002@yahoo.com

tenth8sphere

Re: HELP BREAK THE BAR REVIEW MONOPOLY
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 05:22:02 AM »
I haven't had any classes on this yet - but I would assume Westlaw had to be in some way actively responsible for the lack of competition for this suit to have a chance. They fact that they're the best with no major competition doesn't seem like it would automatically make them at fault for anything...

operationopera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 02:39:35 PM »
Yes, Westlaw has been beahving badly. I have the complaint in pdf format but don't know how to post it here. Would anyone happen to know if it is possible?

tenth8sphere

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »
Yes, Westlaw has been beahving badly. I have the complaint in pdf format but don't know how to post it here. Would anyone happen to know if it is possible?

Throw it up on a file upload site and post a link to it. I'd be interested to read it.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »
It depends on the location. I go to school in Indianapolis and there is another bar prep company here called IBA or Indianapolis Bar Association and they sponser their own bar review course. So there isn't quite a monopoly here just a strong competition.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 08:46:43 PM »
Kaplan has parked in the atrium every day since classes began, working very hard at scaring us 1Ls into not just signing up for bar review but the ethics test and every product they make. I'm not having a whole lot of sympathy right now for any of them.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 12:53:01 AM »
Why don't you just start a Bar Review company and throw money into aggressively developing it and promoting it? And maybe other people can, too. Why does there need to be a law suit because a company is doing its job well by promoting its product and getting the people who use it to pass the exam?
Vanderbilt 2010