Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: STOP PAYING TOO MUCH FOR YOUR BAR REVIEW!  (Read 564 times)

operationopera

• View Profile
    • Email
STOP PAYING TOO MUCH FOR YOUR BAR REVIEW!
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:59:19 AM »
I am looking for co-plaintiffs from across the United States to join me in an effort to end Westlaw Publishing's monopoly of the bar review market. In stark contrast to the myriad LSAT review courses which are offered in virtually every U.S. city (i.e. Kaplan, Princeton Review, Testmasters and others) there is only one bar review company widely available for this exam of immeasurable importance. Consequently, 3L law students who are nearing the end of the grueling and expensive law school process find themselves paying exorbitant rates to BAR/BRI, currently the only viable bar review company, in order that they may obtain the necessary knowledge and skills to finally earn the right to practice law. Inasmuch as it would be wrong for prospective law school students to be forced to take one of the aforementioned LSAT prep courses due to the lack of an alternative, the same principle should apply to the bar review. A complaint has been filed against Westlaw (owner of the BAR/BRI bar review courses) and I would invite serious first year law students to take a principled stance against this monopoly by joining me in this lawsuit. For more information follow this link to a Law.com article about the lawsuit. http://www.law.com/jsp/LawArticlePC.jsp?id=1186736524498

Also, if you have access to the Los Angeles Daily Journal, the complaint was featured on the cover of the August 10th edition.
For a copy of the complaint, email me at smrt4ucr2002@yahoo.com

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Re: STOP PAYING TOO MUCH FOR YOUR BAR REVIEW!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »
What exactly do a bunch of 1Ls have a claim for against BarBri?  If they charge do much, don't buy from them!

No law student is forced to take BarBri.  If you really think that BarBri is the only viable bar review course, then maybe you should take a stand by encouraging students to sign up for reviews with other companies, and just not give BarBri any of your money instead of filing suit against them. 

I'm not a fan of BarBri's prices.  I think they've been raising prices faster than inflation, but that doesn't mean that I think someone who hasn't even bought anything from them as a claim against them.  If you'd already committed to them and paid them at least a deposit, then maybe.  For now though, those 1L's are just kids shopping around for a bar review course and want the high quality at discount prices. 

Can I go into a BMW lot and file suit if they won't sell me a BMW at Camry prices? 
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*