Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No Law Review or Secondary Journal....Can I clerk??  (Read 2243 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: No Law Review or Secondary Journal....Can I clerk??
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 11:44:33 AM »
Yes, clerkships are after graduation, usually beginning just after you take the bar.

And aside from being near/at the top of your class and being on journal, other things will probably help you are:  being published, being on the executive board of your journal, having some interesting work experience that piques the judge's interest, having some local/personal tie to the judge, and being at a "feeder" school - most judges have heavy preferences for certain schools.

Ad oculos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 04:29:52 PM »
It never hurts to apply, but unless you have a real connection with a judge, you're not going to have many looks at the federal level with top 5% at a tier 2 with a secondary journal.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 10:44:58 AM »
More stupid questions. Most people do this after they graduate right? Im assuming that this is different then the clerkships people do during the school year.

And is there anything people can do increase their chances. I am in the top 5% of a T2 with secondary journal. Do they look for things like moot court?

Not all clerkships are directly out of school. Many judges are now moving toward hiring clerks who have some experience in the workforce. I met one clerk who was finishing up his stint this summer and graduated in 1998, and I know that's not all that uncommon these days.

McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 04:50:26 PM »
Other than your good class rank, what sets you apart from everyone else who wants the clerkship?

Maybe the fact that not everyone wants a clerkship?  You'll get a clerskship, don't worry.

StevePirates wasn't saying, "what sets you apart from everyone else?"  Read what he wrote again.  Hopefully everyone who is applying for a clerkship wants it...

I know what he/she wrote you dolt.  I was saying that he/she will be able to obtain a clerkship because there are a lot of different judges you could clerk for and most law school grads don't want to clerk (unless it is for a federal judge).  Idiot.

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 09:36:39 AM »
"Can someone tell me why clerkships are so great?"

If you ever want to get into academia, doing a clerkship can go a long way. From what I have heard, schools definitely look for this experience when considering professorial applicants.