Law School Discussion

No Law Review or Secondary Journal....Can I clerk??

No Law Review or Secondary Journal....Can I clerk??
« on: August 23, 2007, 04:46:42 PM »

I attend a T-2 law school and am in the top % 15.  I did not make the law review, and did not try out for a secondary journal.  I realize that I  have no chance at a prestigious clerkship (e.g. federal, high-state court), but do I have a chance at landing a less-prestigious clerkship, or am I screwed?

Re: No Law Review or Secondary Journal....Can I clerk??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 05:36:32 PM »
Other than your good class rank, what sets you apart from everyone else who wants the clerkship?

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »
Other than your good class rank, what sets you apart from everyone else who wants the clerkship?

Maybe the fact that not everyone wants a clerkship?  You'll get a clerskship, don't worry.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »

Maybe the fact that not everyone wants a clerkship?  You'll get a clerskship, don't worry.

StevePirates wasn't saying, "what sets you apart from everyone else?"  Read what he wrote again.  Hopefully everyone who is applying for a clerkship wants it...

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:56:14 PM »
You should be able to get some clerkship.  It's just that it won't do you any good unless you're going solo (any may not even then).

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 07:21:14 PM »
You will not get a federal clerkship.  You can clerk on the state level.  Why bother?

SJ228

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 07:52:25 PM »
Can someone tell me why clerkships are so great? Besides the learning a lot, is it just the prestige? Do most people do it? Also, whats the ranking of court levels (ie is any federal better then the highest state.)

I had a firm ask me in a interview if I was interested in doing one, and I didnt know.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 08:37:24 PM »
It's great experience, particularly for a litigator.  It gives you solid connections to the court in your area.  It's also very prestigious.

Prestige rankings:
SCOTUS
Fed CoA
Fed Dist
State Sup. Ct.
Fed Magistrate/Art I Court
All State Courts

It's usually not worth it to clerk at the state level unless you clerk for the supreme court.  Otherwise, go federal or don't clerk.  Most people don't clerk; most people really don't have the option.  If you're not at a t14, you need to be in the top 5-10% of your class to have a realistic shot.  Outside of tier 1, you pretty much have to be the #1 student to have a good shot at a federal clerkship.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 08:49:23 PM »
People clerk because you learn more about the practice of law as a clerk than anywhere else.

SJ228

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 08:28:33 AM »
More stupid questions. Most people do this after they graduate right? Im assuming that this is different then the clerkships people do during the school year.

And is there anything people can do increase their chances. I am in the top 5% of a T2 with secondary journal. Do they look for things like moot court?