Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Isn't someone supposed to call?  (Read 1447 times)

tenth8sphere

Isn't someone supposed to call?
« on: August 22, 2007, 04:59:53 PM »
Just having a bit of anxious panic regarding the job hunt. At a good school with a good GPA and good experience. Bid on OCI but haven't heard about success or failure, mass-mailed firms in the areas I'm interested in a week and a half ago - no responses. Even applied to some firms through their online application options. Double checked my phone, it works.

Is there something I'm missing (ie, should be doing), or is some sort of suicide death pact my only option at this point? Bleh, hopefully I'm freaking before I should, but I can't help seeing September come and go without a single interview. It wakes me up in cold sweats, so I thought I'd come on here and see if anyone else was having creeping doom fears.

Success stories or advice also welcome, but I'm in a misery loves company kind of mood right now...

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't someone supposed to call?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 05:06:25 PM »
if you bid on OCI but haven't heard anything, why are you pessimistic?

tenth8sphere

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »
if you bid on OCI but haven't heard anything, why are you pessimistic?

I probably shouldn't be, but considering the success my mass mail has met with, I'm feeling discouraged at the moment. Not to mention OCI doesn't seem like safe odds for a job from what I hear - most of the class will find one another way. So OCI is sort of my backup plan after mass mailing, and I don't like having to rely on the backup plan - because if the backup fails, I'm BONED!

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 05:27:53 PM »
when did you mass mail?

tenth8sphere

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
when did you mass mail?
The first batch went out about 2 weeks ago. Another batch a week later. Then one more batch a couple days ago. The first batch was pretty big though, and I didn't hear NOTHIN from any of them.

GA-fan

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 05:57:43 PM »
proofread resume to be sure phone number is listed correctly  ;) You'll be fine. If you really haven't heard from anyone after a few weeks, call one or two of your top choices to follow up. But seriously, most recruiters are just swamped right now. The ones I've talked to are taking a day + to return voicemails.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:48:42 PM »
i am also concerned about this particular question.  i went on some screening interviews last week and have yet to hear back ANYTHING.  im assuming that if i had a callback i would have heard by now (considering i already have some callbacks and the firm called within the next couple of days).  how bad a sign is it if i haven't heard anything yet?

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 07:20:46 PM »
1.  It's very early in the cycle.  A lot of firms are just now identifying their recruiting needs.  Your carpet bombing might been put to the side because you sent it too early.  I say that you should wait a couple of weeks and maybe call or resend your resume.

2.  A week before callbacks is not uncommon.  I had one callback from a major firm here that took almost a week.

tenth8sphere

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »
MMmmmmm tasty. I just got my first rejection email. Classy. I wonder if I should dispute the email, remind them how valuable and awesome I am. Probably just be a wasted effort. Ah, I can already hear my future crumbling into a fine, powdery dust.

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:23:33 PM »
1.  I have a pile of 35+ rejections sitting here on my desk.
2.  Even if you don't get a big firm SA position, your future is not screwed.  The majority of law students don't work there.
3.  Just the other day at lunch I was talking to someone that didn't summer at any big firm but got a job there after her 3L.  So all hope isn't lost even if you don't summer.
4.  Chill out.