Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: callbacks- how many are enough?  (Read 2340 times)

GA-fan

callbacks- how many are enough?
« on: August 20, 2007, 02:51:53 PM »
After a really good round of first interviews, I've had several callbacks extended. A few questions: first, how many should I go on to realistically expect a job offer? second, what is the protocol for declining interviews? third, how far out can I schedule callbacks without the firm thinking I'm making them my last resort (ie, would scheduling callbacks for early october be too far off)? Our career services office sucks and is swamped with questions or I would just them. Tyia...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: callbacks- how many are enough?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »
I would take callbacks from all the firms you're interested in, as well as some that you're sort of "meh" on just to be safe.  (this may not be advice that others will agree with, just my own position).

As for when to schedule, I'd try to schedule them all as soon as possible.  Many firms make their offer decisions on a rolling basis.  By early/mid October, I'd guess that some firms will have extended a good number of the offers they're planning to extend, barring rejections from people who decide to take other opportunities.  It's better to have an offer in hand early, and then consider what to do with it after the fact.

As for declining interviews, I would contact the recruiter at the firms you're declining and just let them know thanks, but no thanks.  They would probably appreciate a call the most, but an email would probably work just as well.

GA-fan

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:13:46 PM »
does 6 sound like enough? 4 top choices, 2 so-so...

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »
Are you doing your full summer at one firm, or splitting?

For 2Ls, I expect the firms to average giving offers to 1/3 to 1/2 of the people they bring in for callbacks.  With 6 callbacks, that is a possible 2-3 offers.  They'll probably be weighted towards the "lesser" firm, meaning those who are not as elite in their interviewing process.

If you're doing the full summer at one firm, then 2-3 offers is a decent number to choose between.  As long as you don't bomb the callbacks and end up with 0-1 offers, that's fine.  If you can manage it, try for 8.  It gives you a bit more buffer.  It also lets you have more points of comparison in making your decision.

If you're doing half summers at two firms, then 2-3 offers means you don't really have much of a choice.  I'd try to manage 8 interviews as a minimum, and cap out at 12.

This ignores the problems of doing more interviews, though.  You'll have to miss more classes.  That's my gut opinion.  Listen to your own gut more, of course.  Just remember that this is your prime interviewing time.  Interviewing next semester or next year will be more difficult, as people will start out wondering what is wrong with you that you don't have a job lined up already.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 11:30:27 PM »
My career development office said once you have a callback you have a 65% chance of getting an offer.  Im not sure if this was the national average or our schools average.  It probably varies though.

I would take them all. Think of how you would feel if you said no to an interview and you didnt get any offers at of the callbacks you took.

eagles456

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:28:08 PM »
our school gives stats on callback/offer ratio...for most firms it seems like 75% offer rate is the norm (in the same market area). but there are some firms (usually smaller offices of biglaw firms) that have much lower, perhaps 7-10% offer rates and others that are 100%. generally though the percentage of callbacks that result in offers is very high.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 12:43:54 PM »
Even I did not cancel any callback invitation until I have an offer. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 05:22:38 AM »
After a really good round of first interviews, I've had several callbacks extended. A few questions: first, how many should I go on to realistically expect a job offer? second, what is the protocol for declining interviews? third, how far out can I schedule callbacks without the firm thinking I'm making them my last resort (ie, would scheduling callbacks for early october be too far off)? Our career services office sucks and is swamped with questions or I would just them. Tyia...

I got a very early offer from one of my top choice firms (at the time) and I ultimately canceled ~10 callbacks.  In my defense I have to take this really unstable jet propelled bull of a plane with an extremely high likelihood of like crashing and *&^%... In any event, I sorta feel like an a-hole because some of the firms I canceled are starting to look very appealing because their QOL is supposedly infinitely better.

If you have the time, patience, and tolerance for airports, i'd cancel only those firms that you're absolutely uninterested in but go to everything else.  Also, you never know... you might end up applying to these places as a 3L or as a lateral.  I don't know what the ramifications are but they might not like you very much if you start rejecting their callback invitations...
testing testing 1 2 3