Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does briefing cases as a 1L = waste of time?  (Read 7727 times)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does briefing cases as a 1L = waste of time?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 08:35:15 PM »
If it helps you learn the material, it's not a waste of time.

If you're new to reading cases and such, it may take a while at first, depending on your comfort in reading cases. You'll get faster. After a time, you may not do any briefing anymore.

LVP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 09:41:13 PM »
Btw, if you do case briefs correctly you won't be "tied to the brief" because you will have read the case in its entirety and the brief will simply bring you back to the cogent facts and law.  Your classmates' struggles likely just reflect the adjustment period that all 1L's go through. 

Yep.
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 09:58:15 PM »
Ahh, the first day 1L who knows it all.  There has never been a shortage of those on this board.

matty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 11:03:26 PM »
Get case briefs and free outlines at http://www.lawschoolstuff.net

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 05:24:34 PM »
All I'm saying is that many law students have survived without all-out briefing and managed strong GPAs. 

Highlighting and writing in the margins is what I think will work best for me at my particular law school.  And the students who briefed extensively are much more stressed out than I am, so I feel fine.

Law school really doesn't seem as difficult or intense as you guys make it out to be...

starter

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »

Law school really doesn't seem as difficult or intense as you guys make it out to be...

Take it from the grizzled 2 day veteran...law school isn't as intense as it's made out to be.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 07:57:27 PM »

Take it from the grizzled 2 day veteran...law school isn't as intense as it's made out to be.

honestly it's really not. It's kind of tough on people like me who got through undergrad by not doing ANY of the readings, and now here we are having to do 100% of the readings. But for people that actually did all their undergrad readings it wouldn't be such a huge step up.  But also im only 2 days in as well so i can't really make that fair of an assesment this early on.

Dwigt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »
Guys, I know it's easy today it gets much harder.  The reading assignments will pick up quickly and once LRWA starts to take up 2/3 of your time but the other classes' assignments stay the same things start to get a little harder.  It will stay manageable for the next two months or so but November-May will be much more difficult.

Disclaimer - if you don't care about class rank and are just in it for the degree, it probably won't get much harder because you won't care.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 10:53:48 PM »

I'm also at a school where we all get good jobs, so the pressure's off anyway.  I plan to get excellent grades, but I won't be homeless and saddled with loans I can't pay if I don't.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 11:34:31 PM »

I'm also at a school where we all get good jobs, so the pressure's off anyway.  I plan to get excellent grades, but I won't be homeless and saddled with loans I can't pay if I don't.

what school do you go to?