Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY biglaw salary raise?  (Read 9111 times)

Coolio

• View Profile
Re: NY biglaw salary raise?
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 05:28:59 PM »
i've heard 190 / 195.

i've also heard that only a small handful of nyc firms (skadden, cravath, weiss, etc.) are willing / able to do this - which means that the vast majority of will not be affected.

You mean Paul Weiss? If they can do it I am sure any V20 can do it.

I assume he means Paul Weiss. What do you mean by that though? Paul weiss has profits per partner over 2.5 million, putting them easily into the top ten for profits in the country. In fact, you are right that all the V20s in NY can match, but paul weiss is going to have an easier time than most.

Um... not really. Paul Weiss plays the partner to associate ratio game. They kick many people on partnership track to keep the pool thin. Now with the salary raise, each individual partner will bear the burden of increased cost. If a firm has high # of partners then individual partner will bear less of a burden than if the firm's # of partners are low.

I was just sort of baffled by the grouping of "Skadden, Cravath and Paul Weiss." Or Weiss. Paul Weiss clearly doesn't belong there.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 07:05:44 PM »
paul weiss is not much more leveraged than skadden i dont think

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 10:14:24 PM »
paul weiss is not much more leveraged than skadden i dont think

I don't care.

It was just a blatant Weiss trolling on his/her part. Or is it V20 trolling on my part? ??? ???

Alisapisa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 02:55:03 AM »
We're still waiting for NY to 190 >:(. Rumor has it, things will move before graduation this spring ;D.  Check out this cool legal salary site I found on frugallawstudent, alreadybored.com. ::)