Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New students, did anyone get more 1st day work then I did?  (Read 1583 times)

LVP

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New students, did anyone get more 1st day work then I did?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 08:52:40 AM »
does every law school require students to read Buffalo creek as a first assignment or something?

Ours doesn't - they did recommend it as 0L summer reading, and I did read it, but it was not required.
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 11:50:05 AM »
It was rare I read more than 60 pages a week for a 3-credit class. I guess it depends on the prof's philosophy, but most of mine preferred to spend time on every case we read instead of just picking a few to discuss in detail and having students read a lot more that were never discussed.

squatter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 03:36:20 PM »
Alfieri is a maniac.  Enjoy it.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 03:40:24 PM »
does every law school require students to read Buffalo creek as a first assignment or something?

Only one professor at our school requires it.  Lucky me, eh?  I actually really enjoyed the book.  It did a good job of explaining procedure without being overly dry and boring.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 03:56:58 PM »
Alfieri is a maniac.  Enjoy it.

haha, so ive heard. Even if i wasn't aware, i would have figured out that by noticing that he gave us more work in his one class, than I have in my other 4 classes!  :P  Like twice as much as the other 4 combined!  If anything im hoping having this amount of massive reading this early will make having to read 150-200 pages a night not feel so bad.

squatter

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 05:26:31 PM »
It's way more than any other class.  And you actually have to read it because he covers it all. On the bright side, you'll learn the material really well.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 06:07:05 PM »
It's way more than any other class.  And you actually have to read it because he covers it all. On the bright side, you'll learn the material really well.

are his finals based on these things, or just regular hypo issue spotters?

LBJFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
First assignments are usually larger than the typical assignment the rest of the semester. Why? Most often its because they want you to read all of that introductory (ultimately pretty useless) information so that you can get a feel for and sometimes a history of the subject matter.

Of course you'll all read it voraciously and take copious notes because its your first law school assignment after all...but you'll soon know what can be read, what can be skimmed and what can be altogether skipped.  ;D

Congrats on your beginnings and have fun!

squatter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 06:34:04 PM »
I don't know what you're reading, so I don't know.  I know its all multiple choice and there are a billion outlines out there.

tenth8sphere

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 06:42:25 PM »
None of your have real work your first week, regardless of what your teachers say. You'll understand this later in your law school career when people stop buying their books altogether and stay at the top of the curve.