Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I Accept a Transfer to Fordham?  (Read 1732 times)

beckett

• View Profile
Should I Accept a Transfer to Fordham?
« on: August 16, 2007, 06:30:54 PM »
So, a few days before classes start, I get a call from Fordham that they accepted me for transfer. Here's the situation: I am currently at St. John's, where I am on the 2nd best journal (i.e., not law review), moot court, and am in the top 10%. I also get a very good scholarship.

At Fordham I would get no money, of course, and would have to do another writing competition, and try to get on moot court there. The plus is, it would be another shot at law review. The downside is who the hell wants to go through another writing competition.

Career-wise, I just did SJU's earlier interview week, and would be left with the second and third interview weeks at Fordham.

Part of the reason I am torn is that I want to be a public defender, so debt it a big factor. At the same time, I would like to clerk, which would definitely be easier out of fordham than St. John's.

Too bad NYU & Columbia scoffed at my transfer apps. That would have been an easy decision. This one is quite a bit tougher.

Thoughts?

climbingstars34

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I Accept a Transfer to Fordham?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:49:46 PM »
This sounds like a very tough decision.  If you are set on being a public defender then you should probably stay where you are because of the money.  However, if you would like to give yourself more options (such as clerking) then going to Fordham would be a really, really good idea. Also, there might be ways to get some of your debt forgiven in you become a PD right?  If so, I say choose Fordham.  Best of luck.

beckett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:29:07 PM »
FWIW, I've decided not to transfer to Fordham. They only gave me a couple days to pull the trigger, and Fordham over SJU just doesn't seem like enough of a prestige jump to justofy it. It may reduce my chances of clerking (significantly), but the most important thing is that I avoid the golden handcuffs.

So, I appreciate your thoughts, climbing, and hope that someone else who still really wants to transfer into Fordham gets my spot. (And before anyone asks: yes, I am withdrawing today, so the spot should open up shortly).

Lascar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:08:45 AM »
I think you made the right call. 

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:21:36 AM »
I think you made the right call. 

agreed.